Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specification

Hello,

From the website and user manual i cannot find voltage load it supports, as well as the RF frequencies.

I am considering buying the ISY hub but wondering if the PLM attached to it can support the 220v in my country, and whether its RF transmission is compatible with the 2477 dimmers

Cheers!

The 2413S PLM used with an ISY994i. Is 120 Volts 60 cycles only. Using the US RF frequency of 915MHz.

Information is in the specifications tab on the sales page. Though I didn't see the RF of 915MHz listed on the specification page.
    http://www.smarthome.com/powerlinc-m...dual-band.html

There are messages in the UDI forums looking for answers. For use in other AC voltages and frequencies countries . Right now there are none.
    The universal AC power, UDI designed PLMs, seem to be dead for now. Still waiting for Smartlabs to get them the licensed controller ICs needed for production.
    I have seen some reports of the older 2442 HUB's being converted to PLMs but again none presently being offered.

915MHz RF is not the same Insteon frequency used in other parts of the world. So mixing region devices will not work correctly.
    915MHz maybe used for a different application in your country and could cause interference.
    Last edited by BLH; 08-01-2016, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
      The 2413S PLM used with an ISY994i. Is 120 Volts 60 cycles only. Using the US RF frequency of 915MHz.

Information is in the specifications tab on the sales page. Though I didn't see the RF of 915MHz listed on the specification page.
      http://www.smarthome.com/powerlinc-m...dual-band.html

There are messages in the UDI forums looking for answers. For use in other AC voltages and frequencies countries . Right now there are none.
      The universal AC power, UDI designed PLMs, seem to be dead for now. Still waiting for Smartlabs to get them the licensed controller ICs needed for production.
      I have seen some reports of the older 2442 HUB's being converted to PLMs but again none presently being offered.

915MHz RF is not the same Insteon frequency used in other parts of the world. So mixing region devices will not work correctly.
      915MHz maybe used for a different application in your country and could cause interference.
      Thanks BLH.
      I'm going to use US in-wall dimmers so the RF would be good. However my country is 220v so I probably need a transformer for power supply.

I heard that using a transformer will corrupt the power line signals. However, given its dual band capability and if I have a dual band insteon dimmer nearby, do you think it would still work?

Comment

A power transformer will block or corrupt the power line commands in most cases.
        Is your countries power line frequency 60 Cycles? The PLM times its signals from the power line and is not like the 2477 that can use 50 or 60 cycles. It only works from a 60 cycle power line frequency.

I saw some of your questions over in the UDI forums.
        Some of the modules like the IRLinc receivers and transmitters are the older power line only types and strictly 120 volts 60 cycles.
        Last edited by BLH; 08-01-2016, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks BLH.
          Yes indeed I'm trying to find solution to flexibly control my other IR devices from Insteon devices. This is the reason I'm very interested in the programming capability of ISY.

That's bad news because my country uses 50hz, but it's good to know..

In fact, apart from the in-wall switches, which supports 220v/50hz, the only other Insteon device I really need is the PLM, to connect to ISY.

Assuming the powerline feature of the PLM is not going to work, do you thing by plugging it with a transformer, the PLM (and hence the ISY) can still communicate with my Insteon switches via RF, which in turn be repeated under 220v/50hz powerline signals by the mash of Insteon switches?

Comment

As Blh stated, the insteon RF is tied to the powerline to avoid collisions. More than likely you will experience problems with the PLM being able to communicate with your devices since you're at 50 hz. The RF signal would not get sent since the cycle would be off

Comment

The 2413S PLM may not work even for RF only.
              It still used the power line frequency for all its timing.
              I have not seen anyone reporting failure or success when on a 220 volt to 120 volt transformer at 50 cycles.

If you have not also searched in the UDI Forums. I am sure others have had questions about the ISY994i in a 50 cycle system.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. Indeed i found some posts on this forum and UDI forum, but no feasible solution so far.
                That's a really bad news for me ...

I can still use Insteon Hub, and perhaps use amazon Echo for an "all-in-one" command including IR signals.
                But that also means i won't be able to have commands with embedded conditions. .. such as ..

1) Conditioning on the temperature of the day, include/exclude the "turn on FAN/Aircon" command in my "welcome home scene"
                2) Conditioning on the time of day, to set toilet light at different level of brightness
                3) Conditioning on the air quality measurement from a smart air quality monitor, automatically adjust my air purifier power level

I really hope a workaround can be available soon ..

Comment

It's unlikely that there will ever be a workaround. Either 220VAC @ 50Hz will be accommodated or it won't. That's true of all Insteon devices.
                  Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                  Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I'm dreaming - if they release a PLM that uses RF (915hz) only, then it may work.
                    Because I have US insteon dimmers that can repeat such signal to all over the house over powerline with 220v/50hz.

PLM (RF 915hz only) - insteon dimmer (dual band)'s RF915 receiver - all house powerline (220v/50hz) / RF (915hz)

Comment

915MHz may not be a legal Insteon RF frequency in other countries. 915MHz maybe assigned to a different service. So you could get interference on 915MHz from another service using that frequency.
                      I doubt a 915MHz 220 volt 50 cycle PLM will ever happen.
                      The European models are 869Mhz. I have also seen 921MHz listed for some counties.

The US 2245-222 HUB with 915 MHz RF. Mine is marked 100-240 volts 50/60Hz and will have the 915MHz Insteon RF Frequency.
                      The 2242-422 European ones are 120-240 volts 50/60 cycles on 869MHz.
                      Last edited by BLH; 08-02-2016, 06:09 AM.

Comment

As you said, the insteon hub is one example of 915mhz RF under a 110-240v 50/60 cycles device. If they could do a similar setup for PLM...

Comment

Originally posted by kfp22 View Post
                          As you said, the insteon hub is one example of 915mhz RF under a 110-240v 50/60 cycles device. If they could do a similar setup for PLM...
                          It is possible.
                          Though you missed the main point. 915MHz is not allowed to be used in some countries for Insteon RF. As it is used for other things and may cause unwanted interference. So a 915MHz universal AC powered PLM may not be a profitable module to produce.

Comment

That is true BLH.

It makes me wonder then what motivated them to offer this for the 915mhz Insteon Hub and Dimmers/Switches in the first place.

Anyway, sad but I guess I have to give up on PLM+ISY.

Thanks a lot for your comments, really appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by kfp22 View Post
                              That is true BLH.
                              It makes me wonder then what motivated them to offer this for the 915mhz Insteon Hub and Dimmers/Switches in the first place.
                              National and international standards and regulations are the deciding factor. Manufacturers aren't given a choice. Nearly all RF transmission is internationally regulated. Anything else would lead to chaos.
                              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
                              X