Comparison of all PLMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison of all PLMs

I'm looking for a chart of sorts that compares all of the PLMs ever made by Insteon, showing what features/capability they each have.

For instance, one thing I'm interested in is the ability of the serial PLMs to supply power. What voltage/amperage? And can all serial PLMs do that or just some.

What features if any do the higher model-numbered PLMs have that the lower-numbered ones do not? i.e. is moar always bettar? If so, why?

No current plm can supply power to another device. The discontinued 2412s could do that but that hasn't been officially sold in years.

The new plms are dual band in that it communicated over RF and Powerline. It has a faster processor, handles more links, and utilizes I2CS instead of older protocols. The 2413s and 2413u are the same except the 2413s has a serial (Ethernet as well) connection while the 2413u is USB based.
    Last edited by lilyoyo1; 01-10-2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Minor correction: the latest PLM utilizes I2CS as well as older protocols.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I'm entirely fine with buying a used 2412. If the motion detectors are any sign, newer does not necessarily mean better... Did Insteon add any useful features to the 2413 aside from taking away the power output?

Am I to understand that 2413 = newer and 2412 = older in your comparison? Were there any models before 2412 or after 2413?

It seems to me that the USB models are merely serial models with a usb to serial controller built into the device, correct?
        Last edited by billy; 01-10-2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billy View Post
          I'm entirely fine with buying a used 2412. If the motion detectors are any sign, newer does not necessarily mean better... Did Insteon add any useful features to the 2413 aside from taking away the power output?
          Yes, absolutely. Reread post #2. All four items are major improvements.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Were there only ever two 'generations' of plm? 2412 being old and 2413 being new?

Comment

Originally posted by billy View Post
              Were there only ever two 'generations' of plm? 2412 being old and 2413 being new?
              There are two major PLM models. 2412S and 2413S Serial Port. 2412U and 2413U USB Port.

For awhile when the original HouseLinc Software was being sold. There where also a 2412SH,2413SH,2412UH and 2413UH. Software checked to see if it was an H model.

Simplehomenet makes a PLM interface. Uses the same base 2412 or 2413 PLM main board and their custom daughter board. With options like RS485.

There where two major hardware 2412S PLM revisions. Can't say about minor revisions.
              The original had a 417 Link Database.
              The later revision had a >2000 link database. Though controllers like an ISY99i or ISY994i had issues at about 800 links. Due to the link databases clock speed.
              The voltage output on the RJ45 Serial Port connector. Is unregulated +12 volts. Normally around +20 volts. The fuse on the output was 400mA.
              It is power line only communications

As pointed out. The 2413S is Dual Band. Insteon power line and RF communications.
              Faster processor and Link Database memory clock speed. 1016 {memory here} link database memory.
              They had some power supply issues and many failed at about 2 years and a few months.
              Smarthome in the review section. Indicated a component was updated in Jan.2017 hardware 2.3 and above. To improve the hardware reliability.

I also have not seen a chart of hardware revisions features of either a 2412S or 2413S. Though I have a list of what firmware is in the different revisions 2412S and 2413S PLMs I have. Also the link database size in my 2412S PLMs.
              Last edited by BLH; 01-11-2018, 07:00 AM. Reason: Add data

Comment

Going with the 2412 will only hurt you as it will have issues with newer devices.

Comment

BLH, Thank you much for that detailed information. This is what I was hoping to find out so I can make an informed decision on which plm to buy.

Any chance you can share that info on the firmware versions?

Comment

The 2412S and 2412U have been discontinued for many years now. I made a screen capture of a Smarthome Forum post. On 01/17/2010.
                    You may find them on an auction site but they maybe close to failing due to age.

So if you want a new PLM it will be a Smarthome 2413S or 2413U. Smartenit 5010K EZIComm. Built on a base 2413 PLM board with a custom daughter board.

Can't say exactly. I know the first 2412S I have with the larger link database is hardware 2.9 firmware 72.

I have never seen any information on firmware differences.
                    Even to the members of the now discontinued original Developers Group. That I was a member of.

My first 2412S PLM is hardware 1.9 firmware 2.4. That firmware had a fatal flaw. Maybe a 50% chance of the magic smoke being emitted. On a factory reset.
                    Last 2412S PLM with the 417 link database I have is hardware 2.75 firmware 63
                    Large link database. Hardware 2.9 Firmware 72, Hardware 2.95 Firmware 7A and Hardware 3.1 Firmware 85. There are probably more I never saw.

On the off chance you see a 2414U or 2414S. It is not a PLM. It is the even older PLC. Uses a completely different protocol and can't be used as a PLM.
                    Last edited by BLH; 01-11-2018, 02:34 PM. Reason: Add data

Comment

Working...
                    X