New to ISY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to ISY

I was going to do a lot more research before buying an ISY but then there was a super great cyber monday package deal so I bought an ISY 994i ZW+ with a PLM
    Finally getting around to messing with it but I could use some tips especially regarding remote access and iPhone apps. Looks like all the apps cost $$$ and the pricing schemes are confusing.

I'm comfortable with port fowarding and DDNS and don't want subscription cloud based anything. While I'm comfortable with techie things, my wife just wants stuff to work without needing to be techie. She likes the current Insteon app so whatever I replace it with needs to be just as easy to use.

Have you tried looking at the UDI Web Site and Wiki? They have many experienced user that are a help to all that are starting out. The Wiki has full manuals and sections for most all of the ISY994i features.
    https://forum.universal-devices.com/
    https://wiki.universal-devices.com/i...itle=Main_Page

Comment

You can port forward the isy and access it by logging into its own web server. You can also use that port forwarding and put your WAN address into one of many apps that support the isy. Mobilinc X is the only one with a monthly fee.

if you go to the play store or Apple apps and search ISY you should find many options for Apps without a monthly fee.

Comment

Little update
        I nearly gave up on the ISY. I was intimidated by the user interface and programs and so on. Due to the difficulty in removing the ISY & PLM from their locations, I just unplugged the ISY at the back of the unit and left everything in place collecting dust until about 2 weeks ago.

I had thought about selling the ISY & PLM since the Insteon hub was doing what I needed and was easy to maintain (or so I thought). However, over the last month the hub was becoming unreliable and extremely slow to respond. The old version of the hub app was taking so long to open and respond that it was faster and less headache to just walk over to the device I wanted to turn on. Quite often the app couldn't connect to the hub or the schedules were being missed. I suspect our poor broadband contributed to this as well. (Our broadband is a line of ants that carry the data packets to/from our house to the nearest DSL hub which appears to be located in another time/space dimension)
        The new hub app responded quicker but wasn't supporting the 6 button KPL's the way I wanted them to work.

I started playing with the ISY and reading lots of forum threads and within a few hours I had everything working. The ISY is amazing and I wish I had switched over a lot sooner.
        So far I've chosen Agave as my iOS app and I'm blown away at how quickly all the devices report in and work. The programs work great and I no longer get grumpy texts from my wife because the porch lights or lamps didn't turn on or off at the set times. Lately the Insteon hub would miss quite often.

Overall I'm super happy with the ISY and I look forward to learning new and creative ways to further utilize this awesome device.

Comment

The previous hub app took so long to start and respond that it was faster and less annoying to just go to the device I wanted to switch on. Schedules were regularly missed because the app frequently failed to connect to the hub. My guess is that our inadequate bandwidth had a role in this as well fnf mods
          After several hours of playing around with the ISY and reading numerous forum threads, I had everything working. I regret not making the transition over to the ISY sooner since it is fantastic.

Comment

Congratulations on your purchase of the ISY 994i ZW+ with a PLM! The ISY is a powerful and versatile home automation controller. Here are some tips to help you with remote access and iPhone apps while considering your preferences:
            1. Remote Access: Since you're comfortable with port forwarding and DDNS, you can set up remote access to your ISY without relying on cloud-based solutions. Configure your router to forward the necessary ports to your ISY's local IP address. You'll also need to set up a DDNS service to ensure your home's IP address is always accessible, even if it changes. This will allow you to access your ISY remotely using a specific URL or IP address.
            2. iPhone Apps: The ISY offers several options for iPhone apps that provide remote control and monitoring capabilities. Here are a few popular choices:
              • MobiLinc: MobiLinc is a highly regarded app for controlling Insteon devices. It offers a user-friendly interface, extensive customization options, and remote access features. There is a one-time cost associated with the app, but it provides a robust and reliable solution.
              • Insteon+ (Insteon Hub Pro): Insteon+ is the official Insteon app, and it supports both local and remote control of Insteon devices. It provides a familiar interface and should be similar to the current Insteon app you mentioned. However, please note that it requires the Insteon Hub Pro for compatibility with the ISY 994i ZW+.
              • Home Remote: Home Remote is a highly customizable app that supports multiple home automation systems, including the ISY. It allows you to create personalized control interfaces and supports remote access. While it offers a free version, certain advanced features may require a one-time purchase.
            3. Ease of Use: Considering your wife's preference for a user-friendly experience, you may want to explore different apps and see which one suits both your technical needs and her ease-of-use requirements. Try out the app's free versions or demos before committing to a purchase to ensure they meet your expectations.

Remember, before making any changes to your network setup, always prioritize security and ensure you have proper safeguards in place to protect your home network.

If you have any further questions or need more specific guidance, don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy exploring the capabilities of your new ISY controller!

Comment

The ISY994iZW+ has been discontinued by UDI. Free support ends in a few days 6/1/2023. Paid support ends in a year 6/1/2024.
              I would expect other user will still assist in the UDI Forums.
              Last edited by BLH; 05-24-2023, 02:53 PM. Reason: Add something

Comment

Working...
              X