Who's using indigo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's using indigo

I have been using indigo for about 6 months and love it's function.

Anyone else have experience with it

I'm considering "upgrading" to it from Insteon for Hub... pdoc, would love to hear your experience using it. Are you using it side-by-side with the Insteon Hub or did you go Indigo only?

Comment

Originally posted by link266 View Post
      I'm considering "upgrading" to it from Insteon for Hub... pdoc, would love to hear your experience using it. Are you using it side-by-side with the Insteon Hub or did you go Indigo only?
      Hi Link266

Moving to indigo is the best thing i have done as i have way more control over my insteon products and have introduced some Zwave products as well, for example i have a zwave multi sensor controlling instead switches etc, Im using a powerlinc to interface from indigo to the insteon network and a Zstick to interface to the zwave products as well as security spy plugin to indigo to control my security cameras. the best part is that indigo makes them all seamlessly talk together and interact without a hitch

good luck let me know if you have any further question

Comment

Originally posted by pdoc View Post

Hi Link266

Moving to indigo is the best thing i have done as i have way more control over my insteon products and have introduced some Zwave products as well, for example i have a zwave multi sensor controlling instead switches etc, Im using a powerlinc to interface from indigo to the insteon network and a Zstick to interface to the zwave products as well as security spy plugin to indigo to control my security cameras. the best part is that indigo makes them all seamlessly talk together and interact without a hitch

good luck let me know if you have any further question
        Wow, this is GREAT to hear! I've been toying with home automation since 2008 trying all sorts of different systems/products. Finally thinking about making the jump into Insteon so I've been playing around with the official Insteon Hub (v2 I believe, not the HomeKit one) for the last few weeks and while I do like it's simplicity I already want to do so much more than it allows. Previously I was pretty invested into the SmartThings world and even before any of the user-created "SmartApps" it had so much more functionality than the Insteon for Hub app does. Indigo seems like it would definitely be solid step up but also comes with some fairly more UI complexity (okay with me if it's features are worth it).

Couple questions:

1) How reliable have you found the PowerLinc modem to be? There's a part of me that is concerned about putting an additional device in-between my Insteon devices and the machine doing all the controlling (a Mac Mini if I go with Indigo). Does routing all your Insteon commands thru your Mac affect the speed in which the network operates?

2) Do you use the official Insteon Hub ALONGSIDE the PowerLinc/Indigo for controlling devices or did you switch entirely to Indigo? I'm considering running both (if that's even possible) for sometime to continue to test things. Thinking it may be a good way to isolate problems.

3) Do your network require any FilterLincs to eliminate noise on the power lines? I've heard this can be an issue but I haven't run into it yet.

4) Lastly any good destinations you'd recommend to check out for help with building decent looking Control Pages for Indigo? Seems like they can be whatever the user wants them to be (which is great) but also means that's more work for the user to figure out and get it looking nice.

Thanks for your help!!

Comment

Howdy,

I run all my lighting via insteon micro controllers and also use quite a number of of open close sensors too, and use zwave motion sensors as they are much better than insteon.

Answers

1. I have not experienced any problems with the powerlinc modem and have been using it full time for about 12 months now with only one maybe two reboots of the system in that time, it has been very reliable. I use a mac mini that i have dedicated to my automation system which sits in a comms cupboard and i remotely access it when needed, I haven't noticed any time lag at all having it running the system. I have a zwave sensor in my bathroom running back to the mac that then sends commands to the insteon light and fan in the bathroom and it all turns on as I put one foot in the bathroom so the response is great especially given it multi protocol.

2. I have switched entirely to indigo, as others have advised there can be a number of issues if trying to run both at the same time. I think you will find going straight to indigo much easier, I went straight to it and have about 60 micro switches and dimmers, 4 security cams zwave sensors in about 6 locations and open close sensors on all doors and they run like a dream straight with indigo.

3. I don't use filter lincs as i have not experienced any noise on the electrical system in my house

4. I have to iPads one in the kitchen and one at my front door which i run my entire system and can view security cams, I have linked in my sons system, security etc all on control pages on the iPads. the best source of information is the indigo user forums the people there are amazing at providing help and so many are developing plugins to enhance indigo such as a sony bravia on which i can now control my TV and the other one is home bridge so that you can use siri to voice control your system, so i would suggest going there and having a good read.

Good luck and keep the questions coming

cheers

Pete

Comment

The earlier 2413S and 2413U PLM interface modules. Had power supply issues and would die shortly after the two year warranty. The latest hardware version { I have read above 1.C. I know my 2.1 is updated} are reported to have updates power supply parts and should be better. There are repair threads on how to rebuild them.
            Last edited by BLH; 05-14-2016, 03:43 AM. Reason: Add information

Comment

Howdy,

I run all my lighting via insteon micro controllers and also use quite a number of of open close sensors too, and use zwave motion sensors as they are much better than insteon.

Answers

1. I have not experienced any problems with the powerlinc modem and have been using it full time for about 12 months now with only one maybe two reboots of the system in that time, it has been very reliable. I use a mac mini that i have dedicated to my automation system which sits in a comms cupboard and i remotely access it when needed, I haven't noticed any time lag at all having it running the system. I have a zwave sensor in my bathroom running back to the mac that then sends commands to the insteon light and fan in the bathroom and it all turns on as I put one foot in the bathroom so the response is great especially given it multi protocol.

2. I have switched entirely to indigo, as others have advised there can be a number of issues if trying to run both at the same time. I think you will find going straight to indigo much easier, I went straight to it and have about 60 micro switches and dimmers, 4 security cams zwave sensors in about 6 locations and open close sensors on all doors and they run like a dream straight with indigo.

3. I don't use filter lincs as i have not experienced any noise on the electrical system in my house

4. I have to iPads one in the kitchen and one at my front door which i run my entire system and can view security cams, I have linked in my sons system, security etc all on control pages on the iPads. the best source of information is the indigo user forums the people there are amazing at providing help and so many are developing plugins to enhance indigo such as a sony bravia on which i can now control my TV and the other one is home bridge so that you can use siri to voice control your system, so i would suggest going there and having a good read.

Good luck and keep the questions coming

cheers

Pete
              Wow, thanks so much for this super helpful response! Just one follow up question... Why exactly do you say that z-wave sensors are better than Insteon ones? I would think that going with all one protocol (at least as much as possible) would be best but sounds like that may not be the case. Are they more reliable / batteries last longer than Insteon sensors?

Comment

Wow, thanks so much for this super helpful response! Just one follow up question... Why exactly do you say that z-wave sensors are better than Insteon ones? I would think that going with all one protocol (at least as much as possible) would be best but sounds like that may not be the case. Are they more reliable / batteries last longer than Insteon sensors?
                Hey Link266

the main reason is that the insteon sensors don't work well in occupancy mode i.e. it keeps the lights on until no motion is detected, that why i went with the multi sensor I have it set for a auto off after one minute of no movement also the same sensor detects light level, temp, tampering etc so its a great all round sensor. I have it set so when its a dark day it will come on with movement rather than just relying on the time of day etc and also at night I have it turn the lights on at 10% rather than full on so it doesn't wake me up too much during night time calls lol

Have a look at the indigo forums there is tons of info and help and I have found that members are only too happy to help

cheers

Comment

Have a look at the indigo forums there is tons of info and help and I have found that members are only too happy to help
                  Will do. Thanks again!

Comment

1) How reliable have you found the PowerLinc modem to be? There's a part of me that is concerned about putting an additional device in-between my Insteon devices and the machine doing all the controlling (a Mac Mini if I go with Indigo). Does routing all your Insteon commands thru your Mac affect the speed in which the network operates?
                    I have used Indigo since version 4 (about 8 years). The newest generation 2413U/S have been pretty stable. I do not route all my Insteon commands through my Mac. I have all my KeypadLincs connected directly, and only use Indigo for automation. That means if the Mac or PLM fail, most everything still works.

2) Do you use the official Insteon Hub ALONGSIDE the PowerLinc/Indigo for controlling devices or did you switch entirely to Indigo? I'm considering running both (if that's even possible) for sometime to continue to test things. Thinking it may be a good way to isolate problems.
                    I do not use the hub, as it does not really add any functionality.

3) Do your network require any FilterLincs to eliminate noise on the power lines? I've heard this can be an issue but I haven't run into it yet.
                    I have no FilterLincs.

4) Lastly any good destinations you'd recommend to check out for help with building decent looking Control Pages for Indigo? Seems like they can be whatever the user wants them to be (which is great) but also means that's more work for the user to figure out and get it looking nice.
                    I have not found any. My biggest issue with Indigo is that their support for Insteon link management is poor (at best) and has not really improved in years. As an example, if one wants to link button B on 5 Keypad Lincs, you need to manually create all those links (both directions), rather than having it do it automatically (or at least offer suggestions of all the links needed).

Most of the recent development has been adding Zwave support and other non-insteon stuff.

I do use it with HomeBridge to provide HomeKit support for my Insteon gear.

Comment

Working...
                    X