Insteon API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon API

Custom software developers, have any of you started using the Insteon API yet? If so, have you found any issues and have you submitted requests to Insteon via their support page at https://insteon.atlassian.net/servic...tomer/portal/2 (or via some other method)?

I am toying with an application but am having issues finding good examples out there so I'm curious to know more about the pitfalls people have already experienced while designing their apps.

Thanks,
    - John
    Hub: Hub 2 (39:35:10) | Phones: Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0) | Insteon devices: 25+

One week later, I'm wondering if there is anyone using the API yet, especially since my requests at insteon.atlassian.net have also not been even acknowledged during that same time.
    Hub: Hub 2 (39:35:10) | Phones: Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0) | Insteon devices: 25+

Comment

I'munable to find the link you posted, but this site may help.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I can't list accounts, I always get
        Code:
        {
            "message": "You are not permitted to access this resource.",
            "code": 4031
        }
        I didn't see anything in the documentation about how the access_token parameter is used once it's returned from login. I'm guessing it's supposed to be passed in somehow but it isn't obvious how. Appending it as a URL parameter doesn't seem to have any effect.

Comment

I received a response from their head developer and he has been friendly and responsive since then, although I have gotten side tracked with other projects in the meantime. The link I provided above should work to submit requests, as swiss has already discovered.

Swiss, try replying to your original requests to see if you can get some attention.

​VirtualUK, yes, you should get some kind of token back when you request authorization. I haven't done that part yet because there is one other item I'm waiting for: the ability to revoke my authorizations so I can test more than once.

Comment

We've had similar issues with submitting tickets but not getting progress updates. Two problems we've encountered: assigning devices to Favorites and requesting status of sensors.

Swiss: Can you control the primary load on the dual outlet? We've found that devices with secondary groups/controls (e.g., keypads, dual outlets) are controllable, but only for the primary load.

Comment

Had fairly good luck so far with API and control of various Insteon products via Hub2 (2245). Once you get started, most works fairly easily. I work mostly with IOS.

Comment

Our team has created an app for Android phone and tablet . It works with the Insteon Hub V2 through the Insteon API. It has basic control of appliances and lights at the moment. There are a lot more features we would like to add but currently there are challenges with the Insteon API. Please try it out and provide feedback on the new topic I created for the app on this forum: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...app-by-homeboy. Thanks.
                Last edited by wilksmatt; 08-25-2015, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Yep, thinking they never even used the developer atlassian portal. Posted a couple tickets about errors with the house stream api way back in September and never saw a reply. Even tried contacting the regular support email last month and they just said they would forward it to the devs. Also tried on twitter and after telling them no one looks at the dev portal I just got a "we are looking into that now". Grand total of actual responses over the last 3 months: 0. Meanwhile on the Smartthings forums I posted an api feature suggestion and got a response back in a couple hours saying how it sounded useful and that they would pass it on to the dev team. Think it's time to throw in the towel.

Comment

Granted, it's 8 months since mrhector's post, but I've been getting some really good feedback and communications from their team, both on the API side and on the legacy PLM side of their development house. If anyone is still having issues, let me know and I may be able to poke someone on your behalf. That being said, I've become distracted again (squirrel!) and am not actively working on my INSTEON project at the moment, but I plan to get back to it soon.

Comment

I requested for an API key last week. How long does it take to approve the request form?

Comment

Maybe we can share bugs here?

I find it very awkward to create a list of device, scene, and camera names in a room because the /rooms endpoint only return the identifiers, rather than the identifiers and the names. You have to first make a call to fetch the room, and then 3 more to fetch the devices, scenes, and cameras. By providing more information about those three items in the room, it would require less calls to the api.

My current workflow is:

GET /rooms/{id}
                        GET /devices
                        filter only devices in room
                        GET /scenes
                        filter only scenes in room
                        GET /camers
                        filter only camers in room

When it could just be:

GET /rooms/{id}
                        Last edited by brandt; 11-26-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X