Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Noise Filtering in 2019

Hi everyone,

Long-time Insteon user/developer here who has recently discovered a new noise source (pool pump/automation panel) which needs to be tamed as it is impacting other devices which are downstream from it. Unfortunately it seems most of the older noise filter options/providers (e.g. ACT) are no longer in business, or at least not manufacturing any longer. Searching on Smarthome.com suggests that this is the case, as many of noise filters, phase couplers, etc. are no longer available and we're basically down to Insteon FilterLincs and Access Points. And yet, at least at my home, I have more devices today than I did before and more of them are potential noisemakers.

For me, the main gap I am looking to fill is for filtering higher current 240V devices (e.g. variable speed pool pump, A/C condenser, heat pump, etc.). I've tried using the XPNR filter on a couple of these devices. It doesn't really seem to help, and I wonder if it is actually hurting my signal in the process. I have not tried the XPF but believe I need to look into it.

Please jump in and let me/others know what you're still using today.

Thanks!
    Daniel

The XPF is a 20 amp 120VAC filter so it is large and you would have to take size into the equation. The XPF is strictly a 120 volt filter. In a 220VAC setup you would need two. One on each Line and Neutral. The users manual for the XPF is on the X10 web site.

For plug in 120VAC filter. I am using the FilterLinc. I have found that the 5 amp XPPF works well but its coils are small and get very hot if pushed close to the 5 amp rating.

JV Digital Engineering makes a 10 and 15 Amp 120VAC plug in filter. Their stuff is very good. I believe Jeff told me they are tuned wide enough to be used on the Insteon signals.

Access Points are gone. Replaced by the Range Extender Module.

Comment

Working...
    X