No announcement yet.

Insteon is being replaced by Nokia Smart Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“…. Still months from its completion, the Mattersmart home specification is already driving new products and strategies across the smart home market. With a host of major players, technology suppliers, and partners already pledged to delivering Matter compliant offerings, the specification will dominate the smart home landscape within five years. This year more than one hundred million devices will ship supporting the specification and within five years more than half of the world’s key smart home devices will ship supporting Matter. Between 2022 and the end of the decade, more than 5.5 billion Matter compliant smart home devices will ship, according to new a new report from global technology intelligence firm ABI Research.

The first Matter specification is set for publication by the second half of 2022, but already at CES 2022 there were key Matter product announcements from Amazon, Apple, Google, Samsung, as well as key component and service providers ranging from NXP to Tuya.

Even so, the specification sets a host of new demands across connectivity, interoperability, security, and marketing.
    …”

https://www.cepro.com/control/5-5-bi...-ship-by-2030/
    Share Science - Share Knowledge - Share Kindness

Comment

Originally posted by PUEET View Post

so I know Insteon is $$$ but its like anything, you get what you pay for and I am willing to pay $50 a device if I have support and no[sic] the product will last. so I am concerned if Insteon goes away.
      That's not my experience. I must have a pile of ten bad insteon switches. It's getting tiring. One of my last timers blew out. I liked them. Can't replace them.

Does make me wonder ...

I have 2-3 switches that I have to push about 3x until they actually trigger. Those are on motion sensors mostly, so it's not that bad, but I'm looking at at least another several hundred dollars just to get things working like they should, and smart home is all "Out of stock".

So if I go ISY and switch over to zwave for the on/off switches, will they:

1. Look the same or at least similar? Most of my switches are white. I have a few ivory and a few dark brown but I can move the switches around.
      2. Interoperate / trigger one another with the ISY without the cloud?

== John ==
      Last edited by jgwinner; 02-23-2022, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgwinner View Post

That's not my experience. I must have a pile of ten bad insteon switches. It's getting tiring. One of my last timers blew out. I liked them. Can't replace them.

Does make me wonder ...

== John ==
        Yup. Yup. Dat's what I'm talkin' about. Yes, pretty good customer service, pretty good tech support. The product design is top notch, as is the entire concept of the platform. Ditto for the variety of offerings. But the product itself was always hit or miss, some units I've had for over a decade with no problems, some go bad within about 2-3 years. And I guess when I committed to Insteon, I just assumed it would always be there, and replacement units would be readily available. I really don't want to have to tear everything out to go with a different technology. For one thing, my :mad:WAF:mad: has been hovering just above redline for, oh, 20 years now; new switches all over the house will simply not be tolerated. And for once, I can't say as I blame her. For another...I'm just too damn old! :(
        Jim Speiser
        Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

Insteon has gone the way of ENRON. Total scam that has abandoned the Disabled community. I have customers sitting in the dark on fixed income that now must buy entire new systems.
          GET OUT NOW. over 15 years using them only to be literally LEFT IN THE DARK.

Comment

Originally posted by Stadt View Post
            Insteon has gone the way of ENRON. Total scam that has abandoned the Disabled community. I have customers sitting in the dark on fixed income that now must buy entire new systems.
            GET OUT NOW. over 15 years using them only to be literally LEFT IN THE DARK.
            This is just one of many aspects that point to the same basic malfeasance within the Insteon brand: LACK OF VISION. Not once have I ever seen a marketing thrust from BSR, X-10, Smarthome, or Insteon emphasizing the products' potential in the ADA market. I have done a little consulting work in the remodeling field, and it is amazing how many remodelers who specialize in ADA conformity have never heard of INSTEON - some have never even heard of X-10! Yet, my wife, who suffered a long-term disability, was able to overcome many roadblocks with the remote capabilities of the X-10/INSTEON line. I cannot imagine what might have happened had the product suddenly gone belly-up (and taken its support channels down with it)! You could say that she would be no worse off than before X-10 existed....but you can say that about any technology we have come to rely on. What if all the smartphones suddenly disappeared? How discombobulated would YOU be?

God, if only I had the money to buy Smarthome....but I suppose its too late. They only had a 30-year head start on everyone else. By now they should be SYNONYMOUS with home control, to the point of being a neologism like Kleenex, Xerox...or Google.
            Jim Speiser
            Payson, Arizona

Insteon/X-10 since 1985 | 200+ Insteon devices (and one Zigbee!) | USB PLM | HomeSeer 3 | Current WAF Level: -12

Comment

Originally posted by JimSpy View Post
              God, if only I had the money to buy Smarthome....but I suppose its too late. They only had a 30-year head start on everyone else. By now they should be SYNONYMOUS with home control, to the point of being a neologism like Kleenex, Xerox...or Google.
              Looks like someone did. Let's hope it's someone with Vision.

The VP of Finance at work (we're building smart homes like they build Teslas) has been talking about ZWave a lot. It makes sense, far more interoperable, and some of the manufacturers get it.

A month ago I was afraid I'd have to go RadioRA3.

Also, Insteon is still the only company to make an 8 button switch.

== John ==

Comment

So did this die? Web link doesn’t work.

Comment

Working...
                X