Hub Pro for HomeKit Discontinued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Pro for HomeKit Discontinued

Purchased a Hub Pro just months ago and called support today to find they have discontinued the Hub Pro for HomeKit with no plans to support HomeKit in the future. Reason was spotty at best but blamed it on their inability to interface directly with HomeKit which is an Apple requirement.

This leaves me in a very poor situation as I just built a new home with over 200 Insteon switches installed specifically for HomeKit compatibility. An investment of aver $3000.

This MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT should have been emailed to all forum registered uses and prominatly displayed on their web site.
    Last edited by bngoofy; 05-05-2020, 09:41 AM.

With 200 devices, the hubpro was never going to be the right controller from the start. Trust me, they did you a favor.

Comment

They made mention of supporting Homekit in the next generation of products. Hopefully it will be a better experience.

Comment

Not sure why you need support from Insteon. Doesn't the hub pro work for homekit? Or is functionality cutoff completely?

Comment

homebridge and home assistant can work to bridge insteon with ios

Comment

50 devices or the 992 link database size? Or is the 50 device limit a APP limit?

Comment

IMHO...it is an App/protocol limit

Initially, 2016-2017, the Hub Pro could only handle 7-10 devices, but it was more an "attribute" issue then a device issue. In the Homekit protocol relays have 1 attribute, dimmers have 2, thermostats had 3-4. The Hub Pro app would stop responding when you passed something like 14 attributes when it first came out. It was maddening. :mad:This was partly on Insteon and partly on Apple. Then after a bunch of Hub Pro FW updates, and some Homekit updates, that limit was raised.

Fast forward to today, in the Homekit protocol, each device has a 1 MB limitation of information that can be passed to the Apple cloud servers. Since Insteon funnels all their device information through the controller I'm guessing that Homekit sees it as a single record and at around 50 devices you are hitting that max. So another Hub, a new record, lets you continue.

I think Insteon might be able to implement this more efficiently (Hue can go up to 150 bulbs per controller on Homekit) but with all the hassle they went through I would have to ask why. I'm just hoping that they are working on something new and improved and keep us Apple users in mind. :cool:

Comment

If you are a user of Hub Pro for HomeKit, it's important to note that the discontinuation of the product may impact your ability to control your smart home devices through the HomeKit platform. You may need to look for alternative devices or platforms that are compatible with your existing smart home devices.
                Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-07-2023, 09:48 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relicent web site like spam

Comment

Working...
                X