Any news on new app?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any news on new app?

Anyone have news on the new app that can be publicly shared at this point? The fanfare announcement from the CEO was in April. There have been a few teaser articles since then. I seem to recall one that talked of a November release. Anyone have anything concrete that can be shared?

I'm also curious. I'd like to continue my automation with Insteon as leviton switch's are terrible. But I'm waiting to see this app.

Comment

There is a really good article by Richard Gunther at Digital Media Zone:

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/...great-promise/

But I have not heard anything more. I have applied to the beta program several times, but no word from Insteon.

Comment

Originally posted by zimbrich View Post
        There is a really good article by Richard Gunther at Digital Media Zone:

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/...great-promise/

But I have not heard anything more. I have applied to the beta program several times, but no word from Insteon.
        That article has been posted here before. The problem is it's almost 3 months old now.

Comment

Any news on this? Support has not been helpful with any estimated date!

Comment

Got new cell phones yesterday. When I installed the app, got a warning that "this app was not written to work with your version of android".

IT SURE WOULD BE NICE IF WE COULD GET SOME UPDATE ON THE STATUS OF THE NEW APP!!!!

Support responded:
            We would like to inform you that the new Insteon app that is currently going under BETA testing, is expected to be released by February of this year (2020).

I am running ver 1.9.8 (236).

My desire for updates to the app, is for a way to backup/save your devices and configurations, so they can be restored to another hub. Having had a previous hub failure, I keep a backup Hub on hand, but it would take an enormous amount of time to re-setup all of my devices and scenes. I requested this in the past and the release notes indicate they are working in that direction.

The warning that "this app was not written to work with your version of android" is also concerning.
            Last edited by MW5811; 01-21-2020, 06:52 AM.

Comment

What version are you running?

Comment

Couldn't agree more... it's been way too long without any king of communication at all. I understand development can take a while and quality control is certainly important but it's not hard to simply provide some kind of status every month or two. I'm not even asking for an ETA.

I love the Insteon ecosystem but without a modern and friendly app to make use of it, it's really not on par with competition.
                Last edited by jeffv; 02-04-2020, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffv View Post
                  Couldn't agree more... it's been way too long without any king of communication at all. I understand development can take a while and quality control is certainly important but it's not hard to simply provide some kind of status every month or two. I'm not even asking for an ETA.

I love the Insteon ecosystem but without a modern and friendly app to make use of it, it's really not on par with competition.
                  Status updates changes nothing except make people complain more.

I'm regards to insteon not being on par....who are you comparing it to?

Comment

Reply from Insteon support today:
                    "...the new Insteon app was expected to be released by end of February 2020. However we do not have a set ETA...", so it sounds like the date could slide again.

And in regards to "status updates change nothing", I couldn't disagree more. From 25 years experience in IT working on large project implementations, communication is key to successful project management. The number of articles out there on this importance is endless.

Sending out fluff CEO/Marketing pieces that promise the world and then missing the delivery dates, suggests there is a project management problem. And if they are having problems managing the project, then that raises questions on how good the end product is going to be.

Comment

Regarding backup/restore ... yes more in this area would be critical especially if can be user initiated in a cloud app. But ... we just had a hub blow at commercial setting (older one) and insteon support was AWESOME ... they programmed new hub using our cloud account and it was literally plug and play. Never realized how much "stuff" we have programmed in these hubs and no way to self manage a backup (like I did with my old homeseer setups and X10).

Comment

Would be nice to see a teaser about the new app on YouTube or something. Do we have any beta-testers on here that can comment or are you sworn to secrecy?

Comment

I agree with all of you: Patience must be (and is) a virtue
                          But what I strongly disagree with, is that they don't communicate at all (neither officially, nor unofficially ! ! !)
                          When you are a major company in the SmartHome Industry
                          When you are on such a major project & release
                          When you are late on your expected schedule
                          When you have such a huge community of and users
                          When everybody is looking at you closely, and waiting for you....
                          You could at least communicate, give some clues, small info, explain small little things, tease at least a little bit...
                          Short story long, they are very bad in communication, marketing, and teasing !
                          And that's very disappointing !

Comment

The lack of communication with the customer base is troubling at best. I've done my share of embedded development and understand how complex this sort of product is. What's missing here is a sales story. Keep the customers interested in seeing what is coming next. It's this lack of communication that leads to rumors of XXX, YYY and ZZZ.

Comment

• SteveL
                              SteveL commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Kjfatl, I couldn't agree with you more. I wish we could share things on a daily basis. The challenge is when you give out a little bit at a time (I agree it creates short term gains) over a long period there isn't the ability to create that WOW factor when you finally open the curtain and expose to your customer base what you have been doing for the last few years. Your comments are not lost on us and we look forward to the moment when we can share more.

Just got an invitation to join the beta today. Not sure if I should join as I do not want to mess up my lights.

Comment

Working...
                            X