No announcement yet.

Any news on new app?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed it and I already have issues. No Smoke detector recognition, no garage door control recognition and I have an Insteon Camera and there is no way I can find to even attempt to connect it. Ill stick with the old app for the future.

Comment

The announcement that they were working on an updated app said they were droping support for the smoke bridge and smoke detectors. The bridge was kinda hinky in that it only worked with 1 brand of previous gen smoke detecters bought thru them. And I have been waiting forever for an update to the garage door hardware, since it doesn't support dual band, which is their claim to fame, without range extenders (which makes it more expensive then competitors)..

I also feel it is deceitful to continue selling the smoke bridge when their upcoming app is not going to support it.
      Last edited by MW5811; 03-01-2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MW5811 View Post
        The announcement that they were working on an updated app said they were droping support for the smoke bridge and smoke detectors. The bridge was kinda hinky in that it only worked with 1 brand of previous gen smoke detecters bought thru them. And I have been waiting forever for an update to the garage door hardware, since it doesn't support dual band, which is their claim to fame, without range extenders (which makes it more expensive then competitors)..

I also feel it is deceitful to continue selling the smoke bridge when their upcoming app is not going to support it.
        How is it deceitful when it does work with other controllers? I do think they should update the webpage to reflect lack of support for the new app. However, the old app will still be available and it works with that as well

Comment

I also got access to the beta. It is beta software. For those unfamiliar with the concept, Beta product releases are made available to allow willing customers to test a product before it is known to be solid. This gives the developer time to fix bugs, omissions, etc with a small pool of users. If something goes wrong, the developer wants it to effect only a few number of sites or users who agreed to take the risk. That said, I have experienced no issues. If I do, I will provide feedback so the issue can be resolved before general release.

Comment

I was just approved for the beta and intend to download it for trial. But in my application process, I read an article that they published (see https://www.insteon.com/ima-beta#oldandnew ), part of which describes "What features will be supported by each app?", and also "What device types are we not planning to support?". In their last listing they say that Thermostats will not be supported. This troubles me because I travel quite a bit and have a couple of their 2441TH thermostats installed in different places and I use their present app to check on them. So, if I interpret what they said to mean that this Beta will not support thermostats at this time, then so be it - I can live with that. But if they really mean that once the new app is released, thermostats will never be supported, then I guess I wasted my money by purchasing them. I hope they publish some clarification on this in the near future, otherwise I'll be looking for either new thermostats or new controllers. I wonder if anyone else has heard anything about future support of thermostats?

Comment

Originally posted by PJL
              The old app will continue to work. You will be able to use it to control thermostats.
              Thanks for your reply, PJL. Yes, I agree I can still use the old app. But then my old app still works on my HD cameras - which they also said they will no longer support and are now recommending OWLR as a free replacement app. So my question is, for how much longer will they support the old app with updates? I have to believe that eventually that will go by the wayside as well.

Comment

At some point support will end for both apps. Until then, the best thing to do is enjoy it while you have it

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
                  At some point support will end for both apps. Until then, the best thing to do is enjoy it while you have it
                  Good Point!! And you're absolutely right. Thanks, I'll do that!

Comment

Working...
                  X