No announcement yet.

This is refreshing to see. Letter from CEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started setting up the system today and am using Insteon for Hub iOS. I think I'd be better off learning the ins and outs on the established app. All the responders are up and running, clustered so far, into 3 scenes. I have to figure out how to get the 5 mini remotes I want to use into the mix. The instructions for adding mini-remotes is weak, I'm guessing the app leads you through setting them up. I want all 5 to have the same button arrangement. If I run into a problem/question, I'll call them on Monday.

Comment

It appears I've been removed from access to the beta test forums. This happen to anyone else? No notice or communication received. Is the beta even still going?

Comment

So the new app is released but I haven’t seen anything considering HomeKit. In the letter the CEO states a renewed life looking to HomeKit. Any word on this?

Comment

Originally posted by lewciok View Post
          So the new app is released but I haven’t seen anything considering HomeKit. In the letter the CEO states a renewed life looking to HomeKit. Any word on this?
          From what I have read here and on the Smarthome Forum. The new app doesn't even do all the older modules the earlier app will do and both can be installed.

Comment

Most likely homekit will come when a new hub is released. With the current hub being 6 years old, it's getting long in the tooth. A replacement would be the best way to integrate

Comment

• sciclops
              sciclops commented
              Editing a comment
              I seriously hope so for everyone’s sake. It would be great to see integration with Arduino, and a an open source development platform.
              I can picture a whole set of tools for home automation and even alarm system integration with monitoring service support that can work in orchestration with the insteon product line.
              There is nothing on the market to make this happen. For DIYers, and home owners who don’t want pricy large security or ISP provider prices, this would be heaven.

There is stuff on the market to make that happen. Just have to use the right equipment. The isy and Homeseer both work with the elk alarm system and Insteon. They allow the integration you talk about.

The insteon hub was not designed for that advanced level integration. You're talking about a setup that the avg person would struggle with if the hub was that advanced.

Comment

That’s my point, the average person will struggle with third party hubs like the isy, which interfaces with Insteon directly, I believe. Homeseer supports Insteon with a hardware interface, and you still need the Insteon Hub.
              Both of these options are not an easy plug and play installation.
              Last edited by sciclops; 09-30-2021, 05:35 PM.
              Share Science - Share Knowledge - Share Kindness

Comment

Long time Insteon user here. I'm really worried about their future. I know I'm looking at SmartThings and Hubitat. I would love to still buy Insteon devices if they worked cross platform but the way things are now I may never buy another Insteon device.

Comment

Originally posted by inane69 View Post
                  Long time Insteon user here. I'm really worried about their future. I know I'm looking at SmartThings and Hubitat. I would love to still buy Insteon devices if they worked cross platform but the way things are now I may never buy another Insteon device.
                  Same here...all my light switches have been Insteon for years but it seems they are not keeping up with technology and certainly are not communicating with their fans. I’ve been waiting for HomeKit support for far too long and finally gave up and have started to convert the house to Homekit-compatible switches like Caseta. I just wish Insteon would get it done with integration as I really like the devices.

Comment

Well it has now been 2 full years & nothing new has emerged.

Comment

Is there any news on this front? How's the beta progressing? I'm tired of by Fanlinc ceasing to respond for no discernable reason.

Comment

Their new line was announced back in July

Comment

I am very disillusioned about Insteon and how they’re handling things. Strict policies to integrate its tech with universal hubs, and mainstream Audio systems: Samsung,Sonos,& Bose Smartlocks: Schlage, Kwikset, &Yale, Dorbell: Ring, Nest, & Aeotech, Thermostat: Honeywell, Ecobee, Nest, &more. Lightning: Lutron, Zigbee, & ZWave,
                          Insteon has been left behind to survive on its own. I was all in and supporting Insteon, but I find no way they will survive against large competitors and progress in home automation.
                          Universal SmartHub manufacturers are producing some great products to support all smart home devices, mentioned above; moreover, universal hubs integrate with Apple HomeKit, Samsung Smarthome, Alexa, & Google assistant.

Universal hubs use is the Samsung Smartthings app, and proprietary apps.

I mentioned before, Insteon needs to either open up their platform to integrate into other hub manufacturers or create some integration into raspberry Pi or some other platform for us consumers. Also they need to open up the code, make it open source so the public can maintain this tech current.

I’m really considering moving to Z-wave, Zigbee, Lurton, or a combo of all to stay current.
                          Last edited by sciclops; 09-14-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Now that they have announced a Nokia line of Insteon compatible devices. Who knows what is in store. As they are not giving us much information.

Comment

Nokia? I don’t know the last time I’ve seen anything with the Nokia brand.

What is the reluctance of Insteon to communicate?

Hello, Insteon marketing. Is anyone home?
                              Last edited by sciclops; 09-30-2021, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X