Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is refreshing to see. Letter from CEO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    This is good news: https://www.insteon.com/blog/october-app-update

    Dropping support for older, little used devices, is a unfortunate but a necessary part of surviving in business.

    A lot of software developers underestimate what it takes to develop a truly portable code set that works on Apple, Android and perhaps Windows. Most likely they are writing all new code with the future in mind. Supporting devices that are no longer sold is expensive. I do agree that it would be unwise to ignore Windows, or Apple desktop products forever. The likely solution is a web browser based interface that covers both platforms.

    Comment


      #17
      A truly modern app developer would use a development tool that allows you to write once and compile for multiple operating systems and platforms. These tools are readily available and many are free. The platforms would include Android (mobile and tablet; no desktop), iOS (mobile, tablet and desktop) and Windows (desktop, tablet and mobile). Not everyone wants to use a small screen to manage their Insteon Hub.
      Last edited by PJL; 10-24-2019, 04:02 PM.

      Comment


        #18
        sorry but i don't see how eliminating support for the cameras they sold us on the heals of their eliminating the only light bulb that works with insteon is good news. i'm dumping this junk and moving to smartthings.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by toobob View Post
          sorry but i don't see how eliminating support for the cameras they sold us on the heals of their eliminating the only light bulb that works with insteon is good news. i'm dumping this junk and moving to smartthings.
          1 was a low selling product that made no sense to keep dumping money in. The other was a problem device that required more resources than it was worth. By focusing on what they do best and bringing integrations with m9rm 3rd party stuff, long term the consumer benefits more than they would with insteon having half baked solutions.

          Comment


            #20
            I also like that they are focusing their efforts on what they can do well. I'd rather see them focus on making the Insteon protocol an industry standard, used by many vendors and products, rather than try to compete, for example, with Ecobee or Nest on thermostats.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by eagle77 View Post
              I also like that they are focusing their efforts on what they can do well. I'd rather see them focus on making the Insteon protocol an industry standard, used by many vendors and products, rather than try to compete, for example, with Ecobee or Nest on thermostats.
              In the early days of Insteon. In the now discontinued Developers Group. There was a list of interested manufacturers to use Insteon. None of them adopted Insteon. Some chose ZWave or other protocols. Not too sure if old owners wanted too much or documentation was not correct or absent completely.

              Maybe the new owners will be better but I presently have doubts on Insteon in it present state being adopted by other manufacturers.

              Comment


                #22
                I've been using Insteon products for the past few years with some devices connected to a HUB 2 and everything else connected to a Hub Pro. Despite issues with HomeKit and HD cameras that never really worked like I thought they should, overall experience hasn't been awful. I mean I've definitely had more issues with Insteon products than I have any other group (Hue, iDevices, Casseta, Honeywell, August or Logitech), but I also have many more Insteon devices than any other group and most every problem I've had (except the cameras) was the result of the Hubs or software. I read the open letter from the CEO of Insteon earlier this year and was so excited. Still am for the most part. Then I saw the press release from Apple, Google and Amazon last week and was even more excited. A standard protocol for home automation allowing devices to easily integrate into any of the ecosystems was like a dream come true for a home automation enthusiast. What was missing? Oh yeah, Insteon. Where was Insteon in the alliance? I know Insteon operates on it's own standard, but what does it mean for Insteon and other players going forward? Are they going to get shut out of working with Amazon, Google and Apple? If so, that can't be good for them, right? I'm not sure if there's a question in here that anyone can answer. I'm just curious and a little worried for all the Insteon users.

                Comment


                  #23
                  A lot of fanfare about an update then a lot of nothing and a lot of delays. Was easy to predict. They used some crap common dev platform thinking that would save time and money between iOS and Android. That never works and the tools always drop to the least common denominator and break down when you get down to what you really need to do in the app. Given the delays it's pretty obvious. On a more important note I couldn't agree more. Insteon, while a solid product technically, is missing the partnership boat big time. If I were to do it again I would have gone a different route.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Is there any alternatives to the weak spot in the Insteon Hub that fail's yearly! This just to much Thinking of dumping all the Insteon Problems and moving to something else been without a hub since Christmas not Happy wanted to expand system but Insteon does not appear to be a path forward! Too bad lot of money wasted in a dead end product line. Poor customer support.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      The ISY994i is another controller of Insteon. With more bells and whistles over the entry level HUB.

                      I wounder if anyone has tried a Smartenit Harmony P2 Gateway with the optional 2412U PLM. That does not have all the issues the 2413 has. Though the latest V2.5 2413 has improvement in it. It can do X10, Insteon and ZigBee

                      As for new products. Maybe 2020 may have some new ones. Possibly announced in one of the Automation Shows.
                      Last edited by BLH; 01-01-2020, 04:07 PM.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by jhdick01 View Post
                        I've been using Insteon products for the past few years with some devices connected to a HUB 2 and everything else connected to a Hub Pro. Despite issues with HomeKit and HD cameras that never really worked like I thought they should, overall experience hasn't been awful. I mean I've definitely had more issues with Insteon products than I have any other group (Hue, iDevices, Casseta, Honeywell, August or Logitech), but I also have many more Insteon devices than any other group and most every problem I've had (except the cameras) was the result of the Hubs or software. I read the open letter from the CEO of Insteon earlier this year and was so excited. Still am for the most part. Then I saw the press release from Apple, Google and Amazon last week and was even more excited. A standard protocol for home automation allowing devices to easily integrate into any of the ecosystems was like a dream come true for a home automation enthusiast. What was missing? Oh yeah, Insteon. Where was Insteon in the alliance? I know Insteon operates on it's own standard, but what does it mean for Insteon and other players going forward? Are they going to get shut out of working with Amazon, Google and Apple? If so, that can't be good for them, right? I'm not sure if there's a question in here that anyone can answer. I'm just curious and a little worried for all the Insteon users.
                        There are other protocols that are "standard" which is why I take that announcement with a grain of salt. Research zigbee and zwave then you'll understand my point. In regards to not being part of the alliance, there are many names missing not just insteon's. The alliance are just those saying they will work together, which is not necessary to use what they create as it is supposed to be open source. Lastly on that subject, all have to much to lose to back things 100% I can see each one taking certain parts (such as security) and basic use open to other controllers but the best stuff all for themselves.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X