2413S PLM - Is It Dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2413S PLM - Is It Dead?

I'm just getting around to installing a 2413S PowerLink Modem (V1.6 1214) after purchasing it used some months ago. I'm trying to use it with an ISY99i/ir, but the ISY reports that it cannot communicate with the PLM. Can anyone tell me a definitive way to determine if the PLM is functioning or if it's really dead? I'm aware that there was a longevity issue with certain capacitors on the PLM board and I'd like to figure out if it's really dead before I replace either the capacitors or the unit.

Thanks,

Tenaya

The sequence is power on the PLM first, wait a few seconds, then power in the ISY. Or post at http://forum.universal-devices.com

BTW, a 99i is somewhat old. Is it one you had or one you bought used.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Proper power up sequence is needed as Stu pointed out.
      Any 2413S PLM over two years old will have the possible capacitor issues. Hardware V1.6 Date Code 1214 would be suspect.
      Is the LED on the side On and not real dim or Off?
      You may have seen the long thread on the capacitor issues on the UDI Forums. Here is the link. It may have some added information on how to test the PLM.
      http://forum.universal-devices.com/t...-supply-fails/

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I have been powering up the PLM first and then the ISY. Made no difference in communicating with the ISY.

The LED on the side is OFF when plugged in.

That thread on the UDI forum is where I learned about the capacitor issues. This thread's question is my due diligence to assure it's actually dead before I invest any more time/money in it.

I realize the age and lack of support of the ISY99i/ir, but I have a very small automation project that doesn't really warrant newer, more expensive hardware.

What is the version number and date code before which the capacitors are suspect?

Thanks,

Tenaya

Comment

No matter how small the project, if it requires a device that's not supported by the 99i, then the project can't be completed.

The improved PLMs are dated this year. The version is 2.+
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Anything below 2.0.
            My hardware 2.1 Firmware 9E is date code 1505

Comment

I plan to use one 12073w KeyPadLinc and seven WS467-1 X10 Wall Dimmer Switch-Receivers. I'm hoping to be able to control the scenes using an IR remote control. From what I can tell, the ISY99i/ir should be able to do this.

Thanks to all for the invaluable information.

Tenaya

Comment

Here is the UDI Wiki Link to what it can do with X10 devices. As is and with the A10/X10 option.
                http://wiki.universal-devices.com/in...hanced_A10/X10

The A10/X10 optional add on gets you more features.
                It is purchased through the Administrative Console and is enabled by UDI after purchase.
                I am not sure if the option is still available for the discontinued ISY99i. That in your case should be fine for X10 only automation.
                Last edited by BLH; 07-05-2016, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X