How to get insteon and Echo working together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get insteon and Echo working together

After hours of searching, and not much info on the subject. I was able to get my insteon hub (2242) to control my lights using Amazon Echo with simple voice commands. Don't know if anyone is interested, so reply and let me know and I'll explain how to do it.

interesting, do you know how i can do voice commands on my ios with my 2245-222 hub2?

Comment

I've been looking into this as well but I'm totally new to node.js so I had to start at the beginning. I have both hub's, the 2242 and 2245. I read about the Alexa Lighting Api, https://developer.amazon.com/public/...a-Lighting-API, and thought that for a newbie, it might be easier to use that built in skill and simple write a skill adapter using the Insteon REST API. I got my API key from Insteon and started writing basic node.js scripts to get an access token and query the hub. I did all this with the 2242 hub but then when it came time to control it, it would not work and I had to switch to the 2245 hub. I have now succesfully controlled my devices from node.js. With that out of the way, I've been trying to get my head around the Alexa Lighting API. There is very little talk about it so I havent seen any examples except for the amazon dummy device on github. I'm still trying to get a basic hello world demo working using the lighting api. Ill report back with any progress. If someone can help out by guiding me through the Alexa API it would be a big help!

As far as the work done above, how was this done? Are you running a server locally to emulate a wink and then resend a simple http command? Something like this: http://www.leftovercode.info/smartlinc.html. When you ask Alexa to turn something on, do you have to say something like, "Alexa, tell Insteon to turn light on?" The advantage of the lighting API is that you can tell Alexa directly, "Alexa, turn light on." At least that's how I understand it. However you lose the ability to query a device to receive its status which I think could be done if you wrote your own skill. Also the lighting API doesnt work on the 2242.

Comment

Maybe someone can help me out! Amazon asks for a couple things to be emailed to them to provision your app.
        OAuth Scope Value of "scope" per the OAuth 2.0 specification.
        OAuth authorization URL Authorization endpoint for the provider, as defined by the OAuth 2.0 specification. This endpoint allows a customer to authorize Alexa to access protected resources.
        OAuth token URL Token endpoint for the provider, as defined by the OAuth 2.0 specification. Alexa uses this endpoint to exchange an authorization grant for an access token.
        ​I'm not sure what they are asking for. The scope, I'm clueless. For auth. URL and token URL are they just asking for the insteon api url of https://connect.insteon.com/api/v2/
        Any help is appreciated .

Comment

Since this is an old topic I assume everyone now knows Alexa works fine with Insteon out of the box (well, latest Echo software, that is).

(Now if only I could get the @#$%@ Insteon itself to work properly. Sigh).

Comment

I know this is an old post but I was interested in setting up my insteon hub 2242 like the op had mentioned. I know alexa supports the new hub 2245, but it doesn't seem to support the 2242 hub. I was going to create my own amazon skill but I need to do oauth authentication, is that possible with the older hub (2242)?

Comment

update status is complicated

Comment

Repeat commands till they work is what we have for now

Comment

Working...
                X