Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wall plug dimmer module alternates red/green led and turns light on/off constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall plug dimmer module alternates red/green led and turns light on/off constantly

I just started out with Insteon and have hub/switches/plug-in modules working in places round the house but wanted to control my office underlights which are very small leds. The plug is behind a wood cabinet but tried to connect and it failed so I moved the plug on top of my cabinets where I could pair it but when I started controlling the led lights for the underlight the led on the unit started alternating red/green and the lights would constantly turn on and off. I could not find what this meant in the manual. I'm not sure if its having trouble communicating with the other insteon devices (although there is a light switch in the same room and am sure the RF should travel) or perhaps its telling me the load is wrong? I even tried adding a repeater plugged into the same room on the same circuit which did not help.

I've ordered an on/off module to try that but want to understand what the red/green alternating meant.

​Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

If the lights have an electronic power supply. It could be making power line noise or absorbing the Insteon power line signals. When you moved it to the top of the cabinet. It may have started receiving the Insteon RF commands.

Cycling On and Off could also be noise effecting the 2457D2 Lamplinc. The latest version has Local Control Sensing {If the sales page and Users Manuals are correct. Earlier hardware modules do not have Local Control Sensing}. It maybe triggering back On when turned Off. Look at the latest Full Users Manual and try the Local Control Sensing disable Set Button Sequence on page 20 of the 2457D2-en.pdf

The Green LED would indicate module On and the Red LED module Off. If the module is alternating On and Off. The LEDs will alternate Green and Red.

Also if the LED lights are not designed to be run on a dimmer. That could cause strange problems.
    If you are not dimming. The On/Off Module maybe a better choice. Keep us informed if the On/Off module worked better for you.
    Last edited by BLH; 12-06-2014, 05:08 AM.

Comment

The most common cause for the symptoms you're seeing is, as BLH suggested, is using a dimmer to control a non-dimmable load. Even at 100% on the TRIACs clip the waveform.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
      X