End of Insteon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Insteon?

Hi all. Integrator here that really liked Insteon as my go to lighting system. I am really worried about their future because of how many I have out there, including my own home. Anyone have any info about their future?

Smartlabs and Nokia have announced a partnership. For a Nokia line of modules and a Nokia HUB.
    What this means for Insteon users is not clear at all and the management seems to be silent on Insteon line of products fate.

Comment

Insteon is notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to plans so unless an employee or owner chimes in, anything anyone says will be pure speculation (including what I'm about to say).

Right now, with the global chip shortage, insteon has had to make some tough decisions when it comes to stock. Many things are on hold currently to focus on their core selling products.

While i do think the new line will eventually replace insteon, i do not foresee that happening for a few years. If I were in charge, I'd keep insteon until the new line had a solid footing since it's already established and old to keep old customers happy with replacements and upgrades.

WIth some stuff on hold according to their customer support, I would use this time to focus on bringing those devices under the new line vs. bringing them back under the old. Items such as plug in modules and embedded devices can easily be integrated (should they choose) with the older insteon line without clashing the way switches and keypads would.

Once the Nokia line is established, and has a mature product line, I would discontinue the insteon line (which is what I think will happen). I don't see the point in 2 competing lines that does the same exact thing with a similar price point. This remind me of when they sold the dual band and single band switches together. Single band was about 5 bucks cheaper but once dual band matured, they disco'd the single band equivalents. I see the same thing this time around.

Comment

I will purchase used Insteon switches/dimmers/thermostats from anybody taking them out. jeffmartin999666@gmail.com

Comment

Smartlabs and Nokia have announced a partnership. There's nothing to worry about!
          happy wheels was one of my favorite games.

Comment

They also did not say that the Insteon modules we now use. Are going to be compatible with the Nokia modules and hubs.

Comment

Well, so far Insteon has wiped out 3 hubs in a home that supports a disabled person who is paralyzed in a wheelchair. Support is non-existent. Literally I purchased a new hub that Insteon wiped out after linking the very first switch. Didn’t even make it an hour before the Insteon system went red. There are so many email addys created just trying to get something working. Been going on for over a week with Zero support nor answers. Calls get an automated system telling me too bad, so sad. I will be moving all my customers over to alternative systems. Too bad, they were the system of choice for me to support the disabled but now I have customers sitting in the dark using their TV’s for lighting. This is a total disgrace and Insteon, Smarthome and Smartlabs owes my customers an apology. I do not plan on being quiet about this at all. Over 40 toggle switches, 6 hubs and 30 plugin modules all obsolete. This is costing people on fixed income from disability a ton of money let alone my expenses that I am eating in plane tickets and time that I have donated to help these people. SHAME ON INSTEON.

Comment

So many Insteon products have been "Out of Stock" for awhile. ... The end of Insteon will not happen if these products become popular.

Comment

I like Insteon, and have used it in a number of installations. All with a Universal Devices ISY994. However, due to all the problems with Insteon (lack of API, no test equipment, unreliable modem, etc.-See Michael's comments at Universal Devices), I will probably not be using Insteon in the future. Too many alternatives.

Comment

I like the Insteon technology. Fortunately, I have never liked the hubs and their reqts and have avoided them (refused to buy). Good thing, too!

I have been using a Universal Devices ISY994 to set up my Insteon modules. Adequate for my needs so far.

Comment

Originally posted by srjacob View Post
                      I like Insteon, and have used it in a number of installations. All with a Universal Devices ISY994. However, due to all the problems with Insteon (lack of API, no test equipment, unreliable modem, etc.-See Michael's comments at Universal Devices), I will probably not be using Insteon in the future. Too many alternatives.
                      I have been looking around for DIY alternatives to Insteon + ISY994 and found none. Please tell me, what are the alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by stef2 View Post
                        I have been looking around for DIY alternatives to Insteon + ISY994 and found none. Please tell me, what are the alternatives?
                        I have been "playing" with some Z wave switches; you can't set up light level or ramp rate for the individual switches on the ISY994 Scenes, like you can do with the Insteon switches.

Comment

Something is Fishy with this whole situation. It’s like a Phoenix company mandating a subscription. I’d like to trace the money flow to see if an illegal Phoenix company has been built. No one purchased the kit originally knowing a subscription was needed in order for it to all work. Seems like a scam to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X