End of Insteon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Insteon?

Hi all. Integrator here that really liked Insteon as my go to lighting system. I am really worried about their future because of how many I have out there, including my own home. Anyone have any info about their future?

Smartlabs and Nokia have announced a partnership. For a Nokia line of modules and a Nokia HUB.
    What this means for Insteon users is not clear at all and the management seems to be silent on Insteon line of products fate.

Comment

Insteon is notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to plans so unless an employee or owner chimes in, anything anyone says will be pure speculation (including what I'm about to say).

Right now, with the global chip shortage, insteon has had to make some tough decisions when it comes to stock. Many things are on hold currently to focus on their core selling products.

While i do think the new line will eventually replace insteon, i do not foresee that happening for a few years. If I were in charge, I'd keep insteon until the new line had a solid footing since it's already established and old to keep old customers happy with replacements and upgrades.

WIth some stuff on hold according to their customer support, I would use this time to focus on bringing those devices under the new line vs. bringing them back under the old. Items such as plug in modules and embedded devices can easily be integrated (should they choose) with the older insteon line without clashing the way switches and keypads would.

Once the Nokia line is established, and has a mature product line, I would discontinue the insteon line (which is what I think will happen). I don't see the point in 2 competing lines that does the same exact thing with a similar price point. This remind me of when they sold the dual band and single band switches together. Single band was about 5 bucks cheaper but once dual band matured, they disco'd the single band equivalents. I see the same thing this time around.

Comment

Working...
      X