ericpl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ericpl

I’m new to Insteon! I have three Insteon devices, a 2245-222 hub, a 2844-222 motion sensor, and a 2477D dimmer. I have installed the devices on the app and created a scene to have the motion sensor turn the dimmer on when motion is detected. I have the sensor as controller and the dimmer as responder. All appears correct, however the switch/dimmer will not turn on the lights, upon initiated sensor motion. The motion sensor is reacting to motion but will not activate the dimmer/light. I’m puzzled and need help. Ericpl

Creating a scene alone is not enough, you have physically link the motion sensor to the dimmer (see the notes that came along with the motion sensor). Unfortunately, AFAIK, the design of Insteon motion sensors limit its application unless linked directly to the device it’s triggering.

Comment

I respectfully disagree. Creating a scene through the Hub should be enough since it simply goes through the motions of the manual linking process for you. Arguably the 2842-x22 version could ignore software commands if a jumper was not set properly, but the 2844-x22 version does not have that issue.

Here are some things you can check:

When you created the scene through the Insteon application, do you remember going to the motion sensor and pressing its set button before finalizing the scene? If not, a step might have been skipped. You can go through the motions and resave the scene to double check.

Check the scene set up. The motion sensor should be a controller and the light a responder, but the light also has to be set to a brightness level. If it is set to off, the motion sensor will turn it to Off.

After scene creation, you should be able to tap the set button on the motion sensor to cause the light to turn On or Off. This is just a quick way to test that the Hub linking process worked.

Comment

Thanks. I guess I was referring to the older version.

Comment

Thanks for the responses from both of you. With your directions, I have reconnected the devices and I’ve been able to activate the overhead light with the motion 2. One problem, I have to have a lamp on to accomplish this. If the room is unlit, I can see motion 2 reacting to motion but won’t turn on the overhead light. Motion sensor2 has light sensitivity set to 25%, with “night only”and “on only mode” set to off. The dimmer switch’s local properties has, “on level” on, “ramp rate as 0.5 secs. “LED brightness” as 100% and all other settings at OFF. Also, no alerts or schedule have been entered. The lack of response is confusing and frustrating. Please let know if I’m missing something.

Comment

The settings sound correct. So this is working in a normal light setting, but when you go dark it has issues?

For the led color, green is detected motion, amber is low battery and red is saying it sent a command but there was no response from the responding device. If its green you should be okay.

When you tap the 'set' button the the MSII, does the light turn On or Off and to the correct brightness level? If so you know the link is good.

It is probably in the light sensitivity settings. You might raise it a bit. Probably start and 100% and go down from there. The dark-mode/light-sensitivity piece has always been a pain point for the Insteon motion sensors so it becomes a process of trial and error.

I usually make sure the motion sensor is working with the devices first by setting up simple motion scenes, before I start getting into the settings. That way I have a baseline to start from.

Comment

The colour is definitely green and I can switch the light on/off with tapping the set button on the MS2. I’ve reset the light sensitivity to 100 and there’s been no change in the light going on in the room. I moved the MS to the window (it’s still slightly light outside) and the light goes on. I’m wondering when it’s dark outside (in about an hour) if the lack of ambient outside light will again affect the MS? I’m wondering if the MS needs light near it to function properly? Is there a delay when sensitivity settings are changed? I see that Insteon has not manufactured a new MS in 2 years; are there concerns with a new design? My experience with the current model has been disappointing so far, and I don’t seem to be able to make it work properly. The hub and dimmer switches are responding well and I’m quite happy with their performance. Is there another MS product I could try, that could be connected to the Insteon hub? Still trying to figure this out.

Comment

I’m wondering when it’s dark outside (in about an hour) if the lack of ambient outside light will again affect the MS? Its a PIR sensor in the motion sensor so it should be okay, but again, this has always been an issue with these motion sensors.

I’m wondering if the MS needs light near it to function properly? You might try a low light LED and see if that changes things.

Is there a delay when sensitivity settings are changed? During the settings change you should have been asked to put the motion sensor into linking mode. if that happened then I expect it to be immediate. If that never happened then I don't believe the settings changed. The 2842-222 model required a particular button dance for setting changes to take immediately or you had to wait about seven minutes for it to change. There is no mention of that requirement in the 2844-222 manual so I would expect it to be immediate.

I see that Insteon has not manufactured a new MS in 2 years; are there concerns with a new design? No. The company stated they were working on something new, probably a new generation or brand, but their products usually hold up for a long time. They also move at a glaciers pace so I wouldn't wait for them to release anything before next year.

Either way, the best advice I have ever heard is: "plan you smart home for what's available today, not for what might be available tomorrow." That came from either Stusviews of Tfitzpatrick.

Is there another MS product I could try, that could be connected to the Insteon hub? If you can get your hands on a 2442-222 or 2443-222, you can use the sense wire on those modules to hook them up to the output of a non-insteon motion sensor. When the motion sensor triggers, the sense wire picks up on that and send a command out to other Insteon devices. I hear those modules are end of life for now, so it may or may not be a viable option. Hopefully when their newer stuff comes out they have an solution for those as well.

Comment

Thanks again for your comprehensive response. Sure enough, when it got darker outside the MS would not activate the light. I’m going to try a low light next to the sensor and see how that works. I’m confident that I completed the settings when I changed the light sensitivity to 100. In abundance of caution I will go through the steps again and observe if there is any change. My efforts to obtain either of the 2 models you suggested has not been successful. I’m wondering if a USB connection, instead of battery, might help in the interaction process? Anyway, I will continue to pursue a possible solution Again Sean, your comments would be appreciated.

Comment

At least you know the basic operation is working.

I’m wondering if a USB connection, instead of battery, might help in the interaction process? This is possible. if the battery is not supplying proper voltage then the components will not work as intended. I don't know if its quicker for you to test the battery or find the correct USB cable for the motion sensor. I think it needs to be a right angle on the micro-USB side. (#2822-222)

My efforts to obtain either of the 2 models you suggested has not been successful. They might have some refurbished units available but you would need to contact Smarthome directly so they can look it up in their system.

2442-222R

or

2443-222R

or

2444-222 / 2444-222R (this version is for motors but you just need it for the sense wire)

Comment

Sean, I have ordered the correct USB cable for it and it’s arriving Friday or Monday. I have a 5V adapter (not 90 degree), why couldn’t I plug it in and leave the back off the MS and see if that would work? Or, does the back have to be left on for proper operation? I’m a little confused with the sense wire and how it could be used in my situation. Do I need a different sensor (the ones you recommended) ? How does the version for motors sensor wire help me if the other recommended models are not available? Your technical acumen is needed to walk me through these alternatives. Please know, that your help has been extremely beneficial and appreciated, I would still be stumbling around completely frustrated and no further ahead. You exemplify true customer service! :-)

Comment

I have a 5V adapter (not 90 degree), why couldn’t I plug it in and leave the back off the MS and see if that would work? Or, does the back have to be left on for proper operation? Up to you. The mounting bracket is on the back cover so if you can get it to mount the way you need to then great! Otherwise you might need the right angle version

I’m a little confused with the sense wire and how it could be used in my situation. Do I need a different sensor (the ones you recommended) ? You had asked if you could use a non-Insteon motion sensor to trigger the Insteon light switch. Basically you attach the micro module's yellow sense wire to the output of the non-Insteon motion sensor and link the micro module to the light switch. When the motion sensor detects motion, the trigger wire energizes, which trips the sense wire on the micro module causing it to send the command to the light switch.

How does the version for motors sensor wire help me if the other recommended models are not available? - Just giving you an alternate model that might be in stock that would work for the question asked. You don't need the module for load control, so whether the module is meant for dimming, relay, or inductive motors is not important. You just need an Insteon module, that has the ability to connect to that other motion sensor, so that you can use it for control.

You exemplify true customer service! :-) Just a volunteer moderator doing what I can.

Comment

Working...
                        X