100s of x10 WS477 in wall panels - need to replace with Insteon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100s of x10 WS477 in wall panels - need to replace with Insteon

We have 100s of these WS477 switches (see photo) in our wall panels located throughout our house- each one wired to a light or fan etc. They do not work with LEDs so we need to change them to Insteon devices. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what Insteon product may work so we can install dimmable LED lights throughout our home.

Thank you!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

One thing you will have to check. The Insteon Switches need a power Neutral along with the Line and Load wires in the switch box.
    The X10 WS477 stole power through the incandescent load. No Neutral wire was needed.
    The 2477D dimmer and 2477S On/Off are the decorator style. Dual Band models.
    The 2474D is the two wire model. Incandescence loads only as it steals power through the load.
    The older power line only 2466D dimmer and 2466S On/Off are the toggle type.
    Last edited by BLH; 11-13-2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

There's no choice for the dimmers. If you want Inssteon, then you'll have to select the 2477D. The only choice than, is the particular brand of bulb. You may need to experiment. I've had 100% success with ,any different Sylvania LED dimmable bulbs, although they're more costly than most other dimmable LED bulbs.

Also the Triangle brand 5000K LED bulb has played nice with the Insteon dimmer. And, finally, the Philips dimmable LED bulbs that have a color close to incandescent bulbs have worked really well with Insteon dimmers. I've not had as much success with other Philips dimmables, nor any success with Feit. YMMV.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I use the Philips warm glow bulbs throughout my house. I have found all of their different warm glow styles work well with Insteon.

Iā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ use the br30s, br40, b11, vintage style, and candelabra without issues. The dimming is great as I can get really low without it cutting out as well as the ramping effect I love.

Comment

[QUOTE=BLH;n97091]One thing you will have to check. The Insteon Switches need a power Neutral along with the Line and Load wires in the switch box.
          The X10 WS477 stole power through the incandescent load. No Neutral wire was needed.
          The 2477D dimmer and 2477S On/Off are the decorator style. Dual Band models.
          The 2474D is the two wire model. Incandescence loads only as it steals power through the load.
          The older power line only 2466D dimmer and 2466S On/Off are the toggle type.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I'm confused - did you mean that we should replace the panel modules (inside a wiring cabinet as per the picture) with a wall switch? Would a 2475SDB In-Line switch work?
          Last edited by berybak; 11-14-2017, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I thought that is what you wanted to do.
            Replace the X10 switches with Insteon Switches.
            The WS477 is an X10 wall switch and what you are showing in your photo. Of the wiring panel.
            What are you trying to do?

Comment

You would replace all of your X10 devices with insteon devices. The 2475da1 would replace what's in your panel and allow you to dim dimmable LEDs. The 2475sdb is relay only with no dimming capability at all. Any switches that need to be replaced would be replaced with the 2477d or 2334-2 keypads depending on your desires.

Comment

You can use any of a SwitchLinc, In-LineLinc or Micro Module. Each is available as a dimmer or on/off module. Any of these would fit in the space you have available. However, the maximum load among the devices differ. You'll need to select which is appropriate for your situation. The 2-wire dimmer is of use only if the load is incandescent.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
                X