Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I/O Linc stopped working after upgrading outlet to GFCI

Hi Everyone!

I'm pretty new to Insteon so I figured I'd put this in here, maybe there's a better place for it? Anyway, a few weeks ago I bought the garage door kit and had it set up and working fine, including an Insteon camera to watch the garage. When I plugged in the I/O Linc I found that the outlet my garage door and I/O Linc were plugged into was poorly mounted (I just bought this home a few months ago) causing the I/O Linc to shake loose over time. I decided to redo the outlet today to bring it up to code and everything went well with the install but I ended up changing the outlet to a GFCI because it's in my garage. My I/O Linc stopped responding to my Hub now, though, and I can't figure out if it's the GFCI outlet or something else. I searched online and everything I read said Insteon products should work fine with GFCI outlets, is that true? For now I took an extension cord and plugged it into another outlet in the garage (a different circuit) and it's working great plugged into that.

Any ideas what could be wrong with the outlet I replaced? Do some brands of outlets have problems with Insteon? It's using the same wires as the old outlet, it's just mounted better and moved to a GFCI.

Thanks for any help!

- Erik

It's possible that the particular brand of GFCI outlet is causing the problem. You may want to try a different brand GFCI outlet. I realize that that's a costly endeavor, unless you have need for the current GFCI outlet in a different location.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews]It's possible that the particular brand of GFCI outlet is causing the problem. You may want to try a different brand GFCI outlet. I realize that that's a costly endeavor, unless you have need for the current GFCI outlet in a different location.[/QUOTE]

Would you happen to know a brand of GFCI you know or have heard works?

Comment

Hopefully some one will chime in with that information.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
        X