6 button dimmer keypad programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 button dimmer keypad programming

My landscaper installd a 6 button keypad to control my outdoor lights. They initially worked fine, with 2 scenes. "A" for one set of lights and "B" for another. Last week, something changed and now the B button will not turn off the lights. They are on permanently. The "A" button continues to work fine.

I read through the manual, but I can't figure out how to fix the programming to turn off the lights on Scene B. I was hoping to find a youtube video to help me out, but didn't see anything. Can anyone provide a basic set of steps to reprogram the scene using the kepad keys?

Thanks,

Are you using a Hub, an ISY or something else as an Insteon Manager or are you creating scenes manually?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I thought I had to program it manually - that's what I am trying to do. Is there an easier way to program it?

Comment

HUB or ISY994i?
        There are options for the KPL through an ISY994i. I don't have a HUB so I can't say what it can do.

Comment

I don't have a hub and I don't know what an ISY994i is. All I have is a keypad installed in place of a light switch.

Comment

Thank you for the information.
            So you are trying to use Button 'B' to control a manually linked scene and the full users manual is not clear?

Comment

You have two minutes to do this so make sure you know where everything is:

Go to the keypad and tap the keypad button you want to use until the back light is on.
              Press and hold the set button at the bottom of the keypad. (The button you just turned on should begin blinking)
              Go to the Insteon device that is controlling the other set of landscape lights.
              Turn that device on.
              Press and hold its set button until you here a double beep.
              The keypad will now turn on/off the device.

Comment

[USER="7698"]SeanM[/USER] - do I need to press the set button on the keypad while someone else goes to the Insteon device or can I let go of the set button once the button I turned on starts blinking?

Comment

After you hold down the set button for ~3 seconds the keypad will beep once and the button will start flashing. That begins the 2 minute timer for you to go to the other device, turn it on and press and hold its set button until you get that double beep letting you know it linked.

Upon putting any Insteon device into linking mode you will have two minutes until the devices goes back to its regular standby mode. You can extend the time but you can read about that in the manuals. ;)

Comment

IIRC, you have fully 4 minutes before linking times out.
                    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Thanks for the clear steps,but it didn't work. The B scene button (the one I want to program), remains on all the time (dimly). If I press it, it blinks a couple of times and then goes back on. If I press and hold it for a while, it turns on brightly and flashes and the set button beeps. If I try to go to the indoor/outdoor controller and link it, I get the double beep, but the keypad still doesn't turn off the lights. Seems like the problem isn't just getting the link to the controller, but that the B scene button is in some kind of weird state.

Comment

Two concerns, first and foremost it appears that you have a communication problem. This can happen if you have a noisy device on the powerline. Culprits include wall warts (e.g., phone chargers, plug-in power supplies, etc.), anything electronic, especially if they're old, even more.

Second, it seems that you inadvertently put the B button in On-only mode. That's easy to do if you push the button a few times within a short time period. That's a minor problem that we can solve later.

For now, unplug or disconnect everything on the same circuit as the outdoor lights. Turning something off is inadequate, it must be disconnected or unplugged. If a device is on a standard switch, then turning off the switch is OK. Try linking again. What's the result?

BTW, what do you have that controls the outdoor lights, a Micro Module, an In-lineLinc, something else?

Comment

[USER="33"]stusviews[/USER] - what do I do to get a button out of On-only mode?

Comment

Hold the button until it beep and starts blinking. Release and hold again until it beeps. Repeat a third time.

Comment

How can you use the keypad linked to the hub to establish scenes for 2 wire switches that can not be linked to the hub?? I am trying to set up scenes for 2 wire switches that are on circuits with GFI: i.e. pool lights & accessories, switches in bathrooms, etc. The GFI circuit will not allow the "neutral wired" switch to work but I can link the 2 wire switch to a mini remote and I'm told a keypad by manuall linking the 2. Therefore I am trying to use the keypad - recognized on the hub as a method of setting on / off times for these switches.

Comment

Working...
                              X