Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Hub 2 (2245-222 / 2014); remote access issues via cellular on the iOS app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Hub 2 (2245-222 / 2014); remote access issues via cellular on the iOS app

Hello,

I'm a new Insteon user. I acquired a 2 dimmer / 1 hub kit for $30 from COSTCO so that I could automate some lamps in my den and test the waters of automation. I've already added it to my Echo Dot and am teaching my kid to NOT constant dim / un-dim the den lights. ;-)

[COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=16px][B]I'm having some trouble figuring out why I cannot get remote access to the hub over a T-Mobile cellular connection. The iOS app works fine from my home network. When I use my iPhone 6 Plus to connect via the app while on other other Wifi networks (e.g. friend's Comcast Internet connection; work fiber connection; etc.), I have no issues.

However, when I attempt to use the iOS app over raw LTE / 4G, I cannot access the hub. I understand that the 2014 hub should be discoverable by the app once it's set up without opening any ports (25105, I think, by default), but even THIS is not the case over cellular. Details about my setup below...[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

My home has limited power outlets, and the ones near my office TP-LINK Wifi router / TP-LINK gigabit switch were occupied with two large surge protectors / UPS units. I didn't want to cause any powerline issues with the hub by placing it on a UPS or surge protector, so I moved it to my bedroom. My house is NOT wired for CAT5 / CAT6, so I repurposed a Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT in a client bridge mode to provide wired access to the hub in the bedroom. The current layout looks like this...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n91478[/ATTACH]

Here's the details of what I've done in this setup:[LIST][*]The Insteon hub 2 gets a reserved IP address over DHCP from the TP-LINK router.[*]I've attached laptops and other wired devices to the Linksys client bridge and had no issues getting Internet access.[*]I've made sure that all IP filtering except multi-cast is turned off on the Linksys client bridge.[*]I can log into the internal IP address on that port and see the plain text diagnostic page.[/LIST]
    [COLOR=#FF0000][B][SIZE=16px]Originally, the port on which the hub functions was NOT open on my TP-LINK router. I deleted my account once, reset the hub and all devices to factory settings, and then added them again with the port open. Same results both times -- I can access the hub via the iOS app, but only over Wifi connections -- never LTE / 4G. I've even tried a personal VPN connection over LTE / 4G and the hub refuses to appear in the iOS app remotely.[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

[SIZE=16px][B]Questions[/B][/SIZE][LIST][*]Does the 2014 really benefit at all by opening up the default port in the router? I've configured that properly and verified my setup with the portforward.com site for the router in question.[*]Is there a block somewhere on T-Mobile's side that anyone is aware of?[*]Is there a possibility that multi-cast filtering (the only stateful packet inspection still active on the Linksys client bridge) would affect remote access?[/LIST]
    I'd love to get remote access fixed over cellular. It's the only blocker to my using the system now in my home. Very pleased with it otherwise.

Thanks!

nthdegreeburns
    Attached Files

It's best to not open a port for the 2245 Hub. Try connecting the Hub directly to the router (do you have an available Ethernet port). It doesn't matter if the router is on an UPS or surge suppressor as long as the Hub is plugged directly into a wall outlet on a different circuit from you computer gear.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n91487]It's best to not open a port for the 2245 Hub. Try connecting the Hub directly to the router (do you have an available Ethernet port). It doesn't matter if the router is on an UPS or surge suppressor as long as the Hub is plugged directly into a wall outlet on a different circuit from you computer gear.[/QUOTE]

[USER="33"]stusviews[/USER] -- the only way I could get the 2245 hub plugged directly into the router (bypassing the Linksys client bridge) would be to to run long CAT6 from the the 2245 hub across the room (???) to the router, IF the restriction of NOT powering the 2245 hub off a surge protector / UPS still applies. If I won't adversely affect the powerline communication by powering the 2245 hub from a surge protector / UPS, then I'll do that (happily).

It's been my understanding that the powerline communication to the Insteon devices (including the hub) is adversely affected by surge protectors. Sadly, my office (with all the router and networking hardware) has very limited outlet coverage on the 4 walls.

Is there any good reason that the current setup wouldn't work over cellular only, regardless of the steps between 2245 hub and WAN?

Thanks,
      nthdegreeburns

Comment

The Hub should/must be on a circuit that contains no interfering devices such as UPSs. surge protectors, computers and even more unless they're filtered or known not to interfere with the Insteon signal.

A test is to power the Hub from a distant outlet using a long extension cord. Try a few outlets, if needed.

BTW, Cat 5 is adequate for the Hub.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n91517]The Hub should/must be on a circuit that contains no interfering devices such as UPSs. surge protectors, computers and even more unless they're filtered or known not to interfere with the Insteon signal.

A test is to power the Hub from a distant outlet using a long extension cord. Try a few outlets, if needed.

BTW, Cat 5 is adequate for the Hub.[/QUOTE]

There's another outlet on the other side of the wall in the same room. I just don't have ethernet cable long enough for it. I'll see about investing in some long patch cables that I could run underneath baseboards around the office to get to the router.

Has anyone heard of this sort of "everything works except cellular connections" issue before? I could go over to my neighbor's (who is on AT&T vs. Comcast) house, hop onto wifi, and I'd be able to access my hub remotely now. That's what's weird about this. Of course, we wanna rule out the Linksys client bridge too, I understand.

Thanks,
          nthdegreeburns

Comment

Outlets on back-to-back walls are likely to be on the same circuit. Before buying more cable, test by powering the Hub using a long extension cord.

Comcast could be the problem.

Comment

So -- just an update that follows up with [USER="33"]stusviews[/USER] and my discussion above...

I'm back at work, and the iOS app connects like a dream if I'm connected to workplace Wifi. I've confirmed this with two separate iOS devices running the latest Insteon app.

I also tested tethering an iPad running the app to an iPhone (T-Mobile) using Wifi. Again, no issues. I'm able to connect to my hub as configured in the first post (I've not moved things around as recommended yet).

Tested -- again -- the iOS app over 4G / LTE with T-Mobile, and no communication.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
              nthdegreeburns

Comment

Insteon has identified an issue working with the T-Mobile service and are working to see why the LTE connections are failing to login.

They did not have an ETA for when this would be fixed.

Comment

[QUOTE=TFitzpatri8;n91610]If you can connect via your work wifi, that shows that your home network configuration is working as expected.

If you are able to connect remotely by tethering to your phone, that shows that your cell network is passing traffic on as expected.

So why isn't the app running on the phone able to connect? Check your phone app settings. Have you given the Insteon for Hub app permission to use your cellular data connection on the phone?[/QUOTE]

Yes -- iOS app has full permissions for remote access to the hub. The reply from [USER="7698"]SeanM[/USER] after yours the other day confirms what I was suspecting -- T-Mobile 4G / LTE is somehow interfering with communication. I'm eager to see if there's a fix soon. I feel much better about my experience now, though, and have been happy with the Insteon setup / hardware so far.

I still plan on changing my config around to simplify it, as recommended earlier, but I'll defer for now until that T-Mobile issue is looked into.

Comment

Working...
                  X