I'm a relative newbie to Insteon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a relative newbie to Insteon

I'm a relative newbie to Insteon. I've been using a Hub and some plug in device dimmers and outlets for a special project, controlling a Christmas model train layout. We were exploring an alternate path to control everything but a few things made me abandon that path and we're sticking with Insteon.

This year the layout size expanded greatly and I built a power distribution system replacing the inline devices with dual on/off outlets. Everything draws about 10-12 amps total. After all, we're controlling model trains. We use Home Control Automation to control everything. The Power distribution is a 12 outlet strip of junction boxes with dual control on/off outlets in it along with a number of normal outlets, a few of which run computer monitors with a video running off a PC and a separate PC that controls everything.

For 2017 (yes, we're already planning the 2017 layout even though we set up the display tomorrow for this year). for 2017 I need to expand some features in the layout.

I need to incorporate some sensors in the layout such as sensors in the track that can tell where trains are. These can be as simple as a photo resistor, an IR sensor or something similar. Will this idea work with the 2450 I/O Linc Low Voltage/Contact Closure Interface?

I want to put some lighting up to use after dark. The layout is in a hotel lobby in Orlando, FL and it's bright during the day but at night we think some lighting effects would be nice. Will these fixtures, the ETC Source Four Mini LED here at [url]https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Lighting-Fixtures/Source-Four/Source-Four-Mini/Features.aspx[/url] , work with any Insteon dimmer, whether or not it's a plug in device or an outlet?

I need to control the trains. Right now they are either on or off. I'd like to have some control over their speed. They are newer Lionel trains and run on 0-14 volts AC. Can I use a dimmer for an inductive load, a 110VAC to 14VAC transformer to control the trains?

Someone said to me that some of the newer Lionel trains are now running on DC and if that's the case, can I use the Ballast Dimmer and cap off the 110 outputs?

We use Department 56 houses and the newer ones come with LED bulbs on a single wire that plugs into a wall outlet. This year we have purchased the Department 56 Lighting system. It's basically a Wall Wart power supply that goes into a strip with 3/8" connectors on it that have LED bulbs in it. Can I connect these to either a dimmer plug or a plug in device?

Keep in mind that everything is powered through the Power Distribution panel I built so everything is on the same electrical phase. It worked very well last year but where we want to go with this is more than we have this year.

Thanks

The I/O Linc requires a dry contact closure. You can use anything that will close a relay.

The only way to determine if an Insteon device is compatible with LED lighting is to try it. There is no list.

At least one Insteon user indicated success using an Insteon dimmer with [URL="https://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Dimmable-Magnetic-Transformer-Voltage/dp/B00BU6FT5E/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1480030440&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=dimmable+12v+transformer&psc=1"]this dimmable driver[/URL].
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Noise in power lines. I have an extensive X10 system and am switching the outside lights over to Insteon. The dual-band wall switches work but the I/O Linc doesn't work reliably. I suspect that the wall switches are working only on wireless signals. I have the XTBM Pro analyzer and it indicates .12 volts of noise on most circuits in the house. Apparently, neither the single band Insteon nor the X10 stuff is going to work until the noise is eliminated or filtered but I haven't been able to find the source. Anyone else had noise trouble and solved it?

Comment

A .12 volt noise can effect both X10 and Insteon power line communications. Their power line frequencies are not that far from each other. 120KHz for X10 and 131.65KHz for Insteon. I would also say your Dual Band modules maybe doing more communications by RF over power lines.
        Though written for X10 Jeff's troubleshooting tutorials can also apply to Insteon noise issues.
        [url]http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm[/url]

X10 filters also stop noise for Insteon issues.

Comment

Working...
        X