Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What controllers (and all the other stuff, since I'm a noob.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What controllers (and all the other stuff, since I'm a noob.)

So, my buddy has told me to get some of this stuff, but he's the other side of the country, and we've been missing each other for a few days.

I have a 15 year old house, so the wiring is all relatively new, and probably up to code....

I have an Amazon Echo, and a few Dots.
    I have an Ecobee thermostat.

I want to do some smart lighting.
    I want to be able to control it from keypads and switches on the wall, from my phone (android & iphone) and from my Alexa/Dot.
    I might want to add IR tv controls in the future.

So, firstly, some questions on the lighting themselves...

Easy one is the master bedroom.
    I have a single light switch on the wall. I want to be able to dim the lights.
    I think I need the : 2477D

I also have a fan in the master bedroom.
    It's controlled my one of those wireless controllers that connects to a controller hidden in the fan base.
    I'm guessing that I need the : 2475F
    However, when I do that, I need to control it somehow.
    I'm okay with a phone app on this one.
    Can I control it from my Echo Dot?

The wife likes things simple.
    Not sure I can get away with a keypad in the master bedroom.
    However, if I put in this : 2334-232
    Can I then control the fan from the keypad?

I have a closet off of the master bedroom.
    If I put a dimmer switch (2477D) in the closet, can I turn off the closet light using the dimmer switch in the master bedroom, or do I need a keypad?
    ie. The ON switch in the MB turns on the MB lights. The ON switch in the closet turns on the closet lights. The OFF switch in the closet turns off the closet lights. The OFF switch in the MB turns off ALL the lights.
    ???
    I'm sure if I put in a keypad, then i can do an ALL OFF, but was wondering if I could do this with a dimmer switch.

Are there any issues putting the switchers/dimmers in very humid rooms (the shower).
    Not in the shower itself, but that room is very small, and enclosed, and the steam builds up.

Now for some slightly more complicted stuff.

I have some two way switches.
    Things like the stairs, where there is a top and bottom light-switch.
    I don't really need a dimmer here, but I'm assuming I could put a dimmer or a switch at both ends, and they would work.

I also have some switches where there are more switches than holes.
    IE, they have 5 switches in a 4-hole plate. One of the switches has two physical switches on it.

I seem to understand (not sure if I'm right) that I really need to put a controller on each physical switch.
    Also, there is no double-controller.
    I appreciate that I could wire two lights to the same controller, but not sure if that's a good idea or not.
    Can I put a in-linelinc dimmer (2475DA1) connected to the 5th light, and then just leave the other 4 switchers/dimmers as physical switches that show.
    Will there be room in the hole in the wall for this in-linelinc to fit betwen two physical switches/dimmers.

Okay, now to the controller question, which is why I'm asking this in the first place.

What controllers do I need, and what do they connect to?
    I'm assuming that I need the Insteon Hub : 2245-222
    I was told that I need an ISY 994 controller - would the ISY994I be a good choice (with the PLM).
    Do I really need both of these controllers.

Is there a way to do things like control the fan speed based on the temperature in the room.
    This would be using the Ecobee thermostat and the Insteon 2475F fan controller.

Okay, my head is spinning.

I think I need to go to bed and thing about this stuff.

Thanks guys.

Nick.

Everything you want to do can be accomplished with the Hub, Insteon dimmers, keypads and a FanLinc. IMO an ISY is a better option. You need one or the other, not both unless smartphone control is a must.

The Hub is an entry level device that will suffice in most simple set ups, but you seem to what more that a simple set up. All that you want will require the same devices, only the controller--a Hub or ISY differs. You may want to start with the Hub because it's much, much easier even with its limitations, and not too costly. Everything you learn using the Hub can be transferred to learning about the ISY. You won't be able to control fan speeds remotely with the Hub.

There's no problem installing Insteon devices in any location that a standard switch is allowed, so the shower is not a problem.

MobiLinc (a separate app) can give you smartphone control of the ISY.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

To add to Stu's great answer

If you want simple remote control with scenes and mobile apps, I would go with the Hub.

The ISY offers more integration, and the ability automate things in background without apps If you change your mind later, the migration from the Hub to the ISY later would have the added cost of the ISY ~$250 plus a PLM ~$75. Also you'd also need to invest time to add all of the insteon devices and scenes to the PLM. The hub doesn't have a direct role with the ISY, the PLM is used to talk to Insteon.

Comment

Working...
      X