No announcement yet.

New Insteon installation in a 2 wire systems and fuses home made in the 1960's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Insteon installation in a 2 wire systems and fuses home made in the 1960's

I'm new to Insteon. I recently installed a 2245-222 Hub and I am using the Windows 10 app and Windows 10 phone app. I also got 3 of the 2474DWH 2-wire dimmer switches. I am using them to control the front and back poorch lights with timers. I get home in the evening late, so I would like to actually have some lights on when i get home. The other switch is for the hallway so that i am not going into a dark house when i get home at night. I did purchase the 2477S on/off switch but it wouldn't work without the neutral wire. I do not have a neutral wire anywhere in the home. So I am kinda limited on what i can install. That is a bit disappointing.

I do have a 2441TH wall thermostat that i plan to install soon. My current manual thermostat only has 4 wires but after looking at the AC unit that it connects to, the control board does have all the colors/ slots to add a new five wire connection.

I also have 3 2843-222 open/close sensors coming in the mail.

Eventually I would like to set up the 2864-232 Wireless outdoor HD Camera. I plan to get this before december. Amazon has it on sale for 99.00. I am just looking into what kind of power box I am going to use to connect power to it and if I am going to use wifi or run a cat-5 to it. The cool thing is, an Insteon rep did say it was now compatible with the windows 10 app and phone.

I also plan to pick up a 2635-222 on/ff module to control when the light for my baby tortoises. I am curently using cheap timmer I had picked up at home depot. I also think it would be cool to have a 2864-222 HD indoor cam to record and stream the turtles.

This year I am actually planing on setting up christmass lights outside so I do want to get the 2634-222 outdoor on/off module to control those as well. Since it is outside I may need to pick up the 2992-222 range extender to get the signal out there.

I do have an older water heater, and i am afrade i will come home to a flood one of these days do I want to get the 2852-222 water leak detection unit.

Another cool thing i want is the 2982-222 plug in smoke bridge to go with a First Alert DC-500 onelink Smoke and CO alarm.

i think it would be cool to have the 24950A3 rain sensor kit!

I would love to have the 31286 Smartenit 5010t powercost monitor. However my power company APS told me it is against their policy to use any device with their Estern automated monitors. Even if it is simply reading information and not transmitting it I would face a hefty fine of a few thousand dollars. Totally ridiculous! It would be cool to have high peak energy use trigger other items using power to turn off or send me an alert that im using a high level of energy. but nope!

One thing that disappoint me is that there is no outside temperature monitoring for Insteon. This could be helpful in that when it is colder outside then inside, the AC shuts off and I get an alert to open a window. This would be a cool cost saving feature.
    Any recommendations on anything? I'm excited. So far its a cool system! [h=1][/h]

Using the 2-wiree dimmer limits you to incandescent bulbs. In the event you want to have Insteon control of other loads, then there is a solution, albeit, more costly. That solution involves changing some connections at the fixture, installing a Miro Module in the fixture box and any SwitchLinc or KeypadLinc in the switch box.

I'd request something in writing from your power company, an official document, not just a letter. Would you provide the location and name of your power supplier?

The Insteon wireless thermostat, 2441ZTH, has an outdoor probe available, but you can't base an activity on the reading other than to monitor the temperature. If you can solder, then you can replace the internal sensor with the outdoor sensor in order to have the exterior temperature run an event and/or send an alert message,
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n89611]Using the 2-wiree dimmer limits you to incandescent bulbs. In the event you want to have Insteon control of other loads, then there is a solution, albeit, more costly. That solution involves changing some connections at the fixture, installing a Miro Module in the fixture box and any SwitchLinc or KeypadLinc in the switch box.

I'd request something in writing from your power company, an official document, not just a letter. Would you provide the location and name of your power supplier?

The Insteon wireless thermostat, 2441ZTH, has an outdoor probe available, but you can't base an activity on the reading other than to monitor the temperature. If you can solder, then you can replace the internal sensor with the outdoor sensor in order to have the exterior temperature run an event and/or send an alert message,[/QUOTE]

yeah i know it is made for the incandescent bulbs but it is working just fine with LED just not at full power.

The Electric company is called Arizona Public Service (APS) [url]http://www.aps.com[/url]

They sent me this first:
      Dear Mr. Pomeroy,

Thank you for contacting us before attaching a device to our meter. Maintaining a safe environment for our customers and employees is a top priority at APS, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

I certainly understand your desire to monitor your home’s energy use on a real-time basis, in order to shut off appliances when your usage has reached a certain threshold. However, attaching a device to the meter would put you at risk of coming in contact with the live current; therefore, [B]for safety reasons, attaching any type of device to our meters is strictly prohibited[/B] by our Terms and Conditions.

Our records indicate your home has an automated meter; therefore, as an alternative, you can access your daily and hourly usage data online within approximately 24-48 hours. You can also sign up for text message or email alerts when your energy use has reached a pre-set threshold. For more info, go to [URL="https://support.aps.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/89/"]usage alerts[/URL].

Mr. Pomeroy, we value your long-term business and we are committed to keeping our customers safe at all times. If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to contact me again.

Sandra M.
      APS Customer Service

Then I reply:
      Thank you for your response. It actually would not put me at risk for coming into contact with live current. It does touch any metal. It simply sits on the clear cover over the meter. Here is a picture of what it actually looks like.

[URL]http://smartenit.com/product/zbpcmkit/[/URL] [TABLE="cellspacing: 0"]
      [TR]
      [TD][URL="http://smartenit.com/product/zbpcmkit/"][IMG]http://smartenit.com/sandbox/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ZBPCM_Kit-Main-500x500.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/TD]
      [TD="colspan: 2"][URL="http://smartenit.com/product/zbpcmkit/"]ZBPCMKIT – Smartenit[/URL]
      smartenit.com
      Features. Consists of Smartenit ZBPCM and Blue Line Innovations PowerCost Monitor; Brings energy consumption information to either a ZigBee or an INSTEON network[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

Then They followed up with this

Dear Mr. Pomeroy,

Thank you for your follow-up email that included a photo and additional information on the power monitor.

At this time, our policy does not allow any device to be attached to our meters. With that said, we realize consumers are interested in obtaining energy data on a real-time basis, so we will continue to investigate additional options that can be offered to our customers in the future. Please continue to monitor aps.com, as any new programs will be announced online when they become available.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact APS. We value your business.

Sandra M.
      APS Customer Service

So I think Im out of options......

Comment

I feel your pain. I had the same issue with my local power company, DTE Energy. They did provide an internet appliance that connects to the AMI meter and gas meter and has a helpful service and mobile app. I can use it to investigate power usage, but I can't integrate it with any of my Insteon power line gear or Venstar stats.

Comment

Working...
        X