2245-222 and x10...anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2245-222 and x10...anything?

I have a Hub 2245-222. Last weekend at an Estate sale I happened upon a HUGE box full of x10 lamp modules and etc. for $10.
    Is there ANY way I can make use of these modules with my Insteon Hub 2245-222? Any type of "bridge" device that would relay Insteon Hub commands to x10 modules? Or should I just go look for an x10 controller instead...?

[url]http://www.smarthome.com/smartenit-ezx10rf-insteon-x10-rf-wireless-sensor-receiver.html[/url]
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I never tried that module with the hub to be certain but I don't think the 2245 supports smartenit products.

Comment

The device allows controlling Insteon devices using X10 codes (i.e., manually operating an X10 module). In addition, X10 modules can be controlled by sending an Insteon address, either from a device or by controlling a scene. A Hub is not involved except for creating Insteon scenes.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the fast responses!
          I'm new to all of this...the only devices I'm using with my Insteon 2245-222 Hub currently are a couple of water detectors. I added my Nest thermostat to the iPhone app "just because I could" and it's nice that the capability is available, but I like Nest's own app better.

Plans were to gradually add more Insteon modules as the budget allows. But then I ran into that big ol' box of x10 modules for a give-away price and I'd remembered reading somewhere about x10 being compatible with Insteon...only later to discover that it's not compatible with the particular hub I already have installed.

Glad to learn there is something like the EZX10RF to bridge between Insteon and x10.

Questions:
          1) Most of my light bulbs are now either CFL or LED. As I recall from some x10 experiences many years ago, the x10 modules cause low wattage lights like LEDs or CFLs to remain dimly lit or to pulse. I'm afraid that big ol' box of x10 stuff won't be of use to me because of that. Any solutions?

2) The EZX10RF device is rather pricey...but if it allows me to use the dozen or so modules I got at the Estate sale it might be worth the investment and extra set-up time and learning curve involved. Will the EZX10RF allow me to control the x10 modules via a schedule on the 2245-222 Hub or through a button on my iPhone? I understand from the conversation above that the Hub can control an x10 module via the EZX10RF through a "scene". Can someone point me to some step-by-step instructions for doing this? Most of the documentation I've downloaded seems to be concerned with allowing x10 controllers to control Insteon modules. I've got the reverse situation where I need the Insteon Hub to control the x10 modules. I understand the EZX10RF will actually be the x10 controller in this scenario with the Insteon Hub sending the EZX10RF controller "scene control" signals to accomplish the on/off task at hand. Am I understanding this correctly?

Comment

The EZX10RF will allow you to control Insteon devices using X10 modules. And you can use Insteon devices to control X10 modules. But, X10 modules are not capable of scenes, except that all devices with the same house/unit code will respond.

Also, some Insteon devices can be assigned X10 house/unit codes. You'll need to review the specific Owner's Manual for the Insteon device(s) involved.

Comment

The ezrf will do what you say, however if he is trying to use the hub to control his devices, it will not accomplish that., The ezrf would be irrelevant since the hub does not support it. If he can't add it to the hub then there would not be x10 device control from the hub itself.

Comment

Well.....it sounds to me like I'd be ahead to take the box of x10 stuff to Goodwill -- or sell it on ebay and get my $8 back! Thanks for the info! No point in wasting time and effort....

Comment

Working...
                X