Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with 3-way 2477D switches local programming

I am new to Insteon.
    What could be the reason that I can successfully turn lights OFF in 3-way installation from the secondary switch, but cannot turn the lights ON from that same switch? Primary switch works as expected. Thank you.

The most likely error is wiring. In any 3-way configuration, at least one white wire is not a neutral. Red and black can be any of line, load or one of the two travelers. If you went strictly by the color of the wire, then there is definitely incorrect wiring.

Describe all the wires in each switch box. You can disregard any ground wires.
    Last edited by stusviews; 09-01-2016, 11:14 AM.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

It probably isn't clear that the 2477D isn't a three-way switch. None of the insteon switches are. What you wind up doing is setting up one of the switch modules to control the load, and the other one to control the first module. I don't think the discussion in the manual, [url]http://cache.insteon.com/pdf/2476D.pdf[/url], quite makes that clear. This site does a real good job of explaining it. [url]http://homeautomationguru.com/wiring-3-way-insteon-switches/[/url] . It's very doable. My alternate approach would be to see if one of the two switch locations would benefit from a wall keypad. If you have switches at the top and bottom of stairs for instance, you could swap one for a switch, and the other for a keypad that controls the other switch and maybe other switches on the same or the other floor. If you get to the top of the stairs and turn the stair lights out at the keypad, you may be able to also do some lights you forgot downstairs.

Comment

Working...
      X