Problems with dimmer module schedules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with dimmer module schedules

I recently installed an insteon hub with dimmer module. I set up the insteon for hub app on an iPhone. It was easy to make contact with the module and turn it on/off etc. I set up a schedule and it came on at the scheduled time. But it would not turn off at the scheduled time. I left it alone and it turned itself off sometime while I was away. It turned itself back on at 08:00am today. The scheduled on time was 04:00pm however. I have verified that the hub knows its proper location, so it isn't just a time zone thing.

So I loaded the insteon for hub app onto an android tablet. It immediately recognized the module and I could turn it on/off. It remembered device names, room names, etc that had been set up, but it did not recognize the schedule. After some messing around I deleted the device and reloaded it. I could turn it on/off. So I turned it off and set up a new schedule. But it will not come on at the scheduled on time. It still turns on/off and dims OK. But scheduling does not work.

The schedule set up screen seems pretty straightforward. I can't imagine what I could be doing wrong. It came on OK at the scheduled time the very first time with the iPhone, but has not responded to scheduled times since that initial on cycle. But it does (or did) turn itself on and off automatically. I just did not have any control over it.

I bought this device for the sole purpose (at least for now) of turning lights on/off while I'm gone, so getting a handle on the schedule thing is priority number one.

Any suggestions?

It's best the create a scene and schedule the scene rather than the device. That also allows you control the On-level and ramp rate of the dimmer for that particular schedule. Also, if more that one device is scheduled for about the same times, then all those devices should be in the same scene.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Part of my problem was the house location setting. I reconfigured the location on the map two more times and then all of a sudden my schedules began to work. So it must have thought I was in some other time zone. The location appeared to stay the same each time, but the last time I went through the edit screen it made the difference.

But now I have another schedule related quandary. I would like to be able to enable the schedule when I'm away but disable it when I'm home. I imagine this is possible.

I created some scenes as you suggested. And they seem to work OK. When I save a schedule for the scene the last screen I encounter asks if I want the schedule on or off. I assumed that I could pull that screen up anytime to turn a scene schedule on/off, but I can't seem to get it back even if I edit the schedule and resave. If I go into the schedule and disable the on and off times, it deletes my scheduled times. When I re-enanble them it inserts a default value. I had expected it to remember my previous input. So that does not seem to be the way to enable/disable a particular schedule. I assume that this is possible to do, but I'm apparently missing some key step.

Comment

It is not possible to disable and then enable a schedule. But, you don't need to disable off times ;)
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

So maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong. To accomplish what I want to achieve, I could setup a scene with a schedule and turn it on when I go out of town and turn the whole scene off when I return. Most of my scheduling involves insteon smart LED's which must be in the ON state in order to operate from a regular non-smart wall switch. So after I turned my scheduled scenes off I'd need to turn each bulb on or create an unscheduled scene that turned all the bulbs on if I wanted to return control to the wall switches. Does that sound right, or is there some side effect from turning scenes on/off that I've overlooked.

Comment

Scenes cannot be turned on/off nor even disabled. Schedules can be set to happen only. They cannot be set to not occur.

Comment

Working...
            X