Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to setup some recessed lights to work with insteon

Hi all,

Just had some remodeling work done which included installing some recessed lights. The current setup is as follows:
    3 rows of lights in the living room each on their own switch
    1 set of recessed lights in the dining room on one switch
    1 hanging light fixture in the dining room on it's own switch
    2 sets of recessed lights in the kitchen each on it's own switch
    And an exterior light into the backyard that's going to be motion sensitive.

At least to start i'd like to set up the living room lights and then do the dining room and kitchen.

All of the recessed lights are LED. Would i just need to get the 2477d dimmer switch for each set of recessed lights? In which case i would need 6 of them, plus one more for the hanging light fixture (probably a 2477d as well since i doubt we'll have a 1000w light there)

Is there a Neutral power connection in each of the switch locations?
    Are the LED bulbs rated to be on a dimmer type switch?

Comment

I'm not sure about the LED lights - they aren't all installed yet. And the contractor is the one who installed these. I'll look for the box they came in tomorrow and see what it says. Will it say dimmer on the box or do i need to look for some other verbiage to indicate they are dimmable?

As for the power connection - the current on/off toggle switches have two black wires and a bare copper wire attached to each of them. In addition, inside the gangbox there's some white wires all connected together but not connected to any of the switches.

The gangbox i was looking in is a double gangbox and it looks like there's 4 white wires. I'll try attaching a photo showing what wires are in the gangbox. In the attached photo, one of the paddle switches connects to an outside light and the other one (on the right) connects to one set of the recessed LED's.

Thanks

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The bundled White wires are the needed Neutral power needed for the Insteon modules.
        I also see a bundle of Black wires. If one of the Black wires on the switch is from the Black bundle. It is probably the Line connection.
        Then the other Black wire on the switch would be the Load to the LED lights.

Comment

I always though the wires were color coded black and red to indicate what's what. I assume it matters that I connect the correct black wire to the correct black or red wire on the module? Is there some way for me to tell which wire is which? And how would i tell which white wire is the correct one?

Thanks

edit: the recessed LED's are dimmable.
          Last edited by merk; 12-04-2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

All the white wires should be bundled together. That's the neutral. The bundle of black wires should have a black wire from that bundle to [I]each[/I] switch. That's the line. The other black wire on the switch is the load. The load wires should not be connected to anything else but the switch.

According to the code any color except white, grey or green can be a line, load, or traveler. Romex is made in black and white, black, red and white and black, red, blue and white. Traditionally, if red is available, then that's used for the load. But there is no code requirement.

If the bulbs themselves do not state dimmable, then they are not.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

It does say on the packaging that the LED's are dimmable.

I just want to make sure i wire them up correctly.

Right now each of the existing (non-insteon) switches have 2 black wires connected and the bare copper ground wire. All the white wires are bundled together. Do i leave the white wires bundled together then or do i need to connect them to the white wire on the insteon module? if so, I assume I would connect 2 of the 4 white wires to the module? How do i tell which two? And does it matter which black wire gets connected to the line and the load? If so, how do i tell which wire is which?

Thanks for any help

Comment

All the White wires in the bundle stay in the bundle. Any white neutral wires from the 2477D get added to the bundle. You may need bigger wire nuts.
                Yes it makes a difference with the two black ones. I believe in your photo one of the black wires on the switch was in a bundle. I would use that one for the black Line wire from the 2477D and the other Black wire for the switch to the Red Load wire. If neither black is in a bundle let us know.

Comment

[QUOTE=merk;n80544]It does say on the packaging that the LED's are dimmable.

I just want to make sure i wire them up correctly.

Right now each of the existing (non-insteon) switches have 2 black wires connected and the bare copper ground wire. All the white wires are bundled together. Do i leave the white wires bundled together then or do i need to connect them to the white wire on the insteon module? if so, I assume I would connect 2 of the 4 white wires to the module? How do i tell which two? And does it matter which black wire gets connected to the line and the load? If so, how do i tell which wire is which?

Thanks for any help[/QUOTE]

I already responded to all your questions.
                  Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                  Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

So the white wire from the insteon switch just gets added to the existing bundle of white wires? And it doesn't matter which black wire gets paired with which black wire?

Thanks

Comment

Yes the White wires from the Insteon switches get added to the whole bunch of White wires.
                      It does matter which Black wire on the original switch goes to the Insteon Line and Insteon Load wires.
                      Please reread the thread. For how to determine which Black is Line and Load from the original switch.

Comment

[QUOTE=BLH;n80586]Yes the White wires from the Insteon switches get added to the whole bunch of White wires.
                        It does matter which Black wire on the original switch goes to the Insteon Line and Insteon Load wires.
                        Please reread the thread. For how to determine which Black is Line and Load from the original switch.[/QUOTE]
                        Ah sorry - i somehow missed your previous reply. That clears it up for me - thanks for your help. I'll let you know if it doesn't work.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X