Having issues setting up an scene with a motion sensor and a dimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having issues setting up an scene with a motion sensor and a dimmer

[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]I'm new to Insteon and was wondering if someone can help me with my setup. What I want to accomplish is to have my exterior lights automated so they turn on a schedule and also triggered by a motion sensor. I installed an Insteon dimmer to control the lights and created a scene with a schedule to turn these lights on at 6pm and off at 10pm - This works perfectly. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]Not sure if this is relevant but I have an Insteon v2 hub[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#454545][FONT=Helvetica]Now here's my problem...I would also like these lights to turn on with a motion sensor (2842-222) so I created another scene from 10:01 pm to 5:59pm the next day where the motion sensor triggers the lights on for a couple of minutes, and keep my existing scene from 6pm to 10pm to keep the lights on. This didn't work....when the motion sensor is triggered during the second scene (6pm to 10pm) my lights are being turned off after the two minutes.... Does anyone know a way around this problem?[/FONT][/COLOR]

Thanks for your reply :)

At this point I wouldn't want to purchase more hardware. Would something like this work:

1-Schedule the dimmer to turn the lights on at 6pm and off at 10pm (4hrs)
    2-Create a scene with the motion sensor that turns on the lights every time it senses motion for 4 hours
    3-Create a bunch of scenes to turn off the lights every half an hour for the remaining 20 hours of the day, say 10PM, 10:30PM..... ..up to 5:59PM

What I think would happen is that the lights would remain on between 6PM and 10PM, and for the rest of the day they would be triggered by the motion sensor and stay on for max 30 mins each time.

Just wanted to bounce the idea before setting up all these scenes.

Thanks a lot!

Nicolas

Comment

You cannot schedule the motion sensor by time of day, only by how dark it is.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Ohh no.. the motion sensor would turn on the lights every time it senses motion 24/7. The 4 hours I was referring to relate to the countdown.

Comment

The maximum setting on the motion sensor is 2 hours.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
          X