Will it work with sub-panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work with sub-panel?

So, I know the Hub Pro has redundant signaling methods, power line and Rf. Before I go and get into a lot of work, I have a question.

The hub has been placed with my router in the utility room. I want to be able to use either an on/off outlet (2663-222) or an on/off module (2635-222) to control some lights. The lights are located ~300 feet and multiple walls from the hub in at a separate pool house that gets it's power from a separate sub panel from the main panel. Do I have any hope of getting it to work?

I'd doubt the hub has the power to reach the outlet via Rf signal. I'm wondering if the sub-panel will get the power line signal that would be present in the main house (which has the main panel and an additional sub-panel). What's your experience?

Would I need multiple hubs (one for each sub-panel)? I have great WiFi coverage as I have additional access points located around the house (and one in the pool house) so I could tie multiple hubs together via WiFi or ethernet.

Am I worried about nothing and it's going to work fine?

One thing you may want to consider. The electronics in the router act like a signal sucker or noise maker. It could be a problem with the HUB Pro's power line signals.
    If the room is on a surge suppressor or line conditioner. That also can effect the power line signals and a FilterLinc maybe needed.

Comment

I'll see how it goes.

So far I've added the hub pro to the Insteon+ app and added a simple on/off module and verified it works when plugged in by the computer. Tomorrow I'll go down to the landscape lighting power box and plug it in there and see if it works in my potential 'problem' location. If it doesn't work, then I'll be back here looking for help.

Two questions:
      (1) Where do I go to learn about the suggested FilterLinc and how to know when it's required?
      (2) Where in the setting up a schedule is the option for turning things on/off at sundown/sunrise? All I get is a specified time ...

Thanks in advance.

Comment

The only way to determine if a FilterLinc is needed is to unplug or disconnect the suspected device. If communication improves, then that devices requires a FilterLinc. It's unlikely that a router will cause difficulty, but a UPS can. So can a computer power supply and a surge suppressor. It's a good idea to filter all your computer gear. A FilterLinc can handle up to 10 amps which is adequate for nearly all your peripherals.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

As an update...

I did find that the sub panel makes no difference and all the insteon devices work great. I bought a couple extra devices to ensure I had good Rf coverage over a 6000 sq ft house with 3 different power panels.

The Hub Pro and Insteon+ app are a different story. One day a schedule would work, one day it wouldn't. One day the device would be fine, the app said they didn't exist (with no changes on my part overnight). The app crashed every other time I tried to do something and constantly told me the device was not in my house (even though I could see it in the app and turn it on or off). To put it politely, I think the app stinks. I called for support and the support guy said it may be because the data lives on Apples servers and not theirs. Regardless, for me as the user, it just didn't work worth a damn. I gave up on the hub and app and switched to an Insteon USB modem and Indigo software. I am very happy now. It actually works and is very easy to program. (I'm lucky in that I have a Mac mini server that can run the software 24/7 with no issue available).

I've kept the hub. Maybe in 6-12 months it will actually get software that works.

Comment

Working...
          X