Having trouble finding the right Insteon solution for my situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble finding the right Insteon solution for my situation

I have a master bedroom with one light switch that does not control any outlets, it only controls a ceiling fan. I don't want to snake wires or tear apart drywall.

What I want is just a simple remote switch I can mount to the wall, that will work wirelessly with replacement outlets.

I *think* the 2472DWH receptacle is what I want, but I dont know what switch to pair it with. I want to stress that I want it work remotely/wirelessly, as I do not want to replace the ceiling fan switch, and I can't even guarantee that the outlets are on the same phase as the ceiling fan switch, so I don't know if a wire line RF signal would even make it to the receptacles.

So what stand-alone switch will remotely and wirelessly trigger those receptacles? And is there a self-powered switch that doesn't require a battery? Other companies make them - the force of pressing the button is enough to power the switch's remote signal, so it doesn't need to be wired in nor battery powered. Does Insteon have anything like that?

I would appreciate any help you could offer. I've been exhaustively searching for a solution and I have found nothing that seems to fit my use-case.

Insteon doesn't have any self-powered devices. If your fan is only a fan (i.e., no light), then an ideal solution is a KeypadLinc On/Off Switch which will allow you to control up to four additional OutletLinc dimmers. A neutral wire is required. There are also rechargeable battery powered solutions.

Insteon signals travel over both the powerline and via RF. The RF signal is through the air, so it doesn't matter which circuit the devices are on. BTW, electricity in North America is a split, [I]single-phase[/I] supply, that is, there is only one phase.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

My fan is a fan + a light, controlled by a single switch. I want that switch to operate only the fan/light, so I don't want to change it out. This leaves me with two options:

1. A battery powered remote switch I can mount to the wall
      2. Expanding the switch box and somehow "piggybacking" an electrically powered remote switch, without actually connecting it to the fan.

What would be the Insteon products to use given those options?

Comment

1. There are three different rechargeable battery Mini Remotes, each of which can be mounted to the wall with an optional bracket.
        2. The only way to expand the switch box is to replace the existing single-gang box with an "old work" 2-gang box.

OTOH, installing a KeypadLinc On/Off switch instead of the original switch will still allow you to control the fan/light the same way you do now with the added ability to control up to three additional Insteon devices.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Ah I see, that looks awesome. So to be clear, I can make the On / Off buttons control the fan as normal, and then in one of the keypad buttons, I can program a scene that turns on say, 3 insteon outlets wirelessly?

Comment

Yes, the On/Off buttons will allow you to control the fan/light as you do now. You can also create a scene to use one button to turn on 3 Insteon outlets wirelessly. You can even use one button as described and the other 3 button to individually control the outlets.

Comment

Brilliant. Thanks so much for your help stusviews.

Comment

Glad to advise. That's what I do ;)

Comment

Working...
                X