Insteon Hub and HouseLinc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Hub and HouseLinc

Can devices be connected to both an Insteon Hub and a SmartLinc? I would like to create a scene in HouseLinc to use the photocell function of the motion detector to turn on my outside lights, and then use a scene with the InsteonHub to turn them off at a specific time. I know HouseLinc can turn the scene off at a set time, but that requires the computer to be running all the time. The InsteonHub won't support the photocell function of the motion detectors.

HouseLinc and the Hub can be used concurrently. Are you using the SmartLinc as a HL gateway?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Let's be clear Mr Moderator...HouseLinc will only work with the the OLD hub. Anyone with the new 2245 Hub is out of luck as far as HouseLinc is concerned.

Comment

You are correct, the 2245 Hub is not HouseLinc compatible. But HouseLinc will also work with a SmartLinc, USB PLM, Serial PLM, or a USB Adapter. So, yes, HouseLinc and the Hub can be used concurrently.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

So if I buy one of the SmartLinc/PLM devices, do they work with the 2245 hub to control the devices or do they bypass the 2245 hub making it redundant? Thanks.

Comment

The Hub and HouseLinc have different capabilities as well as overlapping abilities.

HouseLinc is an Insteon manager, not a controller. That means that you can use HouseLinc to create, modify and delete scenes. HouseLinc also includes simple programming abilities (e.g., if this, then do that) and a comprehensive set of diagnostics. HouseLinc requires Windows and is accessible only from that particular computer.

The Hub is an Insteon manager and controller. The Hub does not have any programming capability nor any diagnostics. You can use a smartphone or browser to control devices and scenes.

BTW, a SmartLinc is no longer available.

Comment

I guess I must have been confused.... I have an Insteon Hub (model 2242-222) connected to my network and access it via my iPhone, iPad, and laptop computer. I also have the HouseLinc software on my desktop computer. I am not using the Insteon Hub as a HouseLinc gateway. I don't have a SmartLinc, whatever that is.

Comment

What are you using as a gateway for HouseLinc?

Comment

A PowerLinc USB #2413U

Comment

So, yes. HouseLinc and the Hub can be used concurrently.

Comment

My HouseLinc wouldn't recognize my PowerLinc Modem 2413U. Thinking that it was no longer working, I bought a new one, and can't get HouseLinc to recognize the new modem.

Comment

The link I have to the latest devices.xml file is now not working.
                        Some of the latest devices needed the devices.xml file to be updated. As the firmware version in the latest PLMs may not be recognized with older devices.xml file.
                        I don't know if this is your problem but it could be.
                        Have you verified the USB drivers are properly installed?

Comment

Working...
                        X