Garage door alert setup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage door alert setup question

I am new to Insteon and while I got the I/O link working to open and close the garage door, I was hoping to be able to get an alert if the door was still open at some set time. I am using the hub and the windows app. I admitting think the setup options are confusing and don't seem to be explained well in the I/O link manual. I see that alerts seem possible but don't see how to tie the alert to the open/close status.

​is want I want to do possible with just the hub and app?

​Alternatively, is there a way to have it close the garage if it is open at some point in time?
    Trying to make sure we don't leave the door open all night.

Thank you. I really did not want the door automatically opening or closing either and much rather have the alert but does not seem possible with what I have. Hopefully we will ultimately get more advanced features over time through Insteon.

When you reference other home automation software packages what do you mean? Are there other software packages that will talk to the insteon hardware?

Comment

There are several software solutions for both Mac and Windows computers. There's also at least one OS independent solution. Some, but not all, solutions have smartphone apps available. Search the SH store.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I am having issues with the garage door kit as well. When we had the original Hub, the set up went fine and not issues. With the Beta Hub II, we were having problems of the door bouncing and then we would adjust and it would not close all the way. Simply remove the I/O Linc and door worked fine again. Have been without it for a few months and now today was a warmer day, we went out to try to install again. I had to move the Smoke Bridge closer to act as a repeater (even though I didn't have to before). Door seems to be opening and closing (have to push off for both directions)without any bouncing. Set the alerts to send me emails and no luck on themgoing through. I liked that I knew when someone was coming home. What might that issue be?
        iPhone4s - iOS 7.1.2
        iPhone3 - "remote" IOS 6.1.6
        iPod
        Android tablet Version 4.0.4
        Hub II: 1F.66.64
        Firmware: 5679
        Bin: Hub2-V04-20140904
        PLM: 9D

2 ip cameras
        2 smoke detectors w/ smoke bridge
        1 Motion sensor
        3 keypad
        3 outlet
        4 wall switches
        1 garage door open close sensor

Comment

[QUOTE=ScottK;n36468] I was hoping to be able to get an alert if the door was still open at some set time. I am using the hub and the windows app. [/QUOTE]

I was hoping to do something similar -- get an alert if the door remained up more than 30 minutes, for example. I don't think the hub can do that.

It appears the ISY-994 can do more complex rules such as we want. But the "gotcha" there is that there is no smart phone app for the ISY as far as I know. I believe that in order to have remote control over the ISY, you have to use a web browser. That in turn implies you have to punch a hole in your firewall and you need a static IP address, which most home Internet installations don't have. Plus I'm not sure the ISY can sens email or text message elerts.

Comment

You are correct, the Hub does not have the ability to create conditional events (e.g., if this, than do that).

[url="http://mobilinc.com/"]MobiLinc[/url] is a smartphone app for the ISY. The ISY can send emails and texts.

Virtually every router allows you to punch a hole in your firewall. You do not need a static address. but you do need an DNS server. Some are free, some are not.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I have a similar need. Do I understand correctly that to get this functionality I need to dump insteon hub and buy ISY hub? If so, is there another solution that doesnt require additional hardware? Besides just randomly shutting the door on someone's head.

Comment

Working...
              X