Insteon and I are off to a bad start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon and I are off to a bad start

I just picked up the Home Kit (Hub, On/Off Module, Motion Sensor, open/close sensor, thermostat & camera).
    In trying to set up my devices, I get this behavior (iOS, Windows, Windows Phone all exhibit this behavior):
    Select Add Device
    ​Select the device I want to add
    ​Says to press the set button until the LED flashes (the motion sensor has me press the button a 2nd time) then tap Next

​I do so, and the device goes from a quick flash to normal, the device and hub chirp, but the hub is still flashing green, and the app continues it's countdown (4 minutes for the on/off and open/close, 10 seconds for the motion sensor). and then gives the Device Failed page.

It does this with all the devices I tried to connect through the mobile apps.

I found and tried to use HomeLinc, I can add the devices (same process, but the chirp is immediately followed by the device successfully added audio prompt and is returning data). I can control the on/off switch fine, and see updates from the open/close and motion sensors.

I did call tech support, and that lasted all of about 10 minutes. He asked my name, where I bought this kit, walked through trying to add two different devices, did a factory reset, then told me the hub was bad and needs to be replaced.

​I am a bit confused because as I noted, HomeLinc lets me add devices without an issue.
    ​I can get to the getinfo page and it seems okay as well.

So is this really a bad hub? I don't think so since HomeLinc seems to be fine. It even gives me the audio prompts the devices were added successfully instantly, which is what the guy from support said the mobile apps should do. But then he said HomeLinc hasn't been updated in a long time, which makes no sense because it's the only thing that works right.

Going back to some of my old-school X-10 days of troubleshooting, I put the hub and on/off switch on the same circuit/outlet, and it still had the same behavior.

So, what do I do here? This is not getting Insteon off to a good start with me, and being expected to return the kit to exchange it for another one when its only the mobile apps not working seems fishy to me.

​So any help here before I go through the process to return it would be tremendously appreciated.

And I have another issue/concern here as well:​I have a thermostat that uses 4 wires. I know about the Add-A-Wire device. My current setup uses Y, G, R, and W only. I just want to make sure this will fill in for the missing blue/black wire. I know I can do something here to get around it to get power, but the way this is wired, if I do that, it won't actually turn the heat or AC on.
    Last edited by JodyL1971; 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM.
Working...
X