Insteon and I are off to a bad start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon and I are off to a bad start

I just picked up the Home Kit (Hub, On/Off Module, Motion Sensor, open/close sensor, thermostat & camera).
    In trying to set up my devices, I get this behavior (iOS, Windows, Windows Phone all exhibit this behavior):
    Select Add Device
    ​Select the device I want to add
    ​Says to press the set button until the LED flashes (the motion sensor has me press the button a 2nd time) then tap Next

​I do so, and the device goes from a quick flash to normal, but the hub is still flashing green, and the app continues it's countdown (4 minutes for the on/off and open/close, 10 seconds for the motion sensor). and then gives the Device Failed page.

It does this with all the devices I tried to connect through the mobile apps.

I use HomeLinc, I can add the devices and can control the on/off switch fine. But it appears to store the configuration locally as reconnecting through a mobile app, it still remains empty.
    I did call tech support, and that lasted all of about 10 minutes. He asked my name, where I bought this kit, walked through trying to add two different devices, did a factory reset, then told me the hub was bad and needs to be replaced.

​I am a bit confused because as I noted, HomeLinc lets me add devices without an issue.
    ​I can get to the getinfo page as well.

So is this really a bad hub? I don't think so since HomeLinc seems to be fine. It even gives me the audio prompts the devices were added successfully instantly, which is what the guy from support said the mobile apps should do. But then he said HomeLinc hasn't been updated in a long time, which makes no sense because it's the only thing that works right.

Going back to some of my old-school X-10 days of troubleshooting, I put the hub and on/off switch on the same circuit/outlet, and it still had the same behavior.

So, what do I do here? This is not getting Insteon off to a good start with me, and being expected to return the kit to exchange it for another one when its only the mobile apps not working seems fishy to me.

​So any help here before I go through the process to return it would be tremendously appreciated.

And I have another issue/concern here as well:​I have a thermostat that uses 4 wires. I know about the Add-A-Wire device. My current setup uses Y, G, R, and W only. I just want to make sure this will fill in for the missing blue/black wire (I can rig it to the thermostat gets power, but it doesn't ever turn the A/C or Heat on.

Last edited by JodyL1971; 12-22-2014, 08:10 PM.

Yes, the problem can be the Hub. When HouseLinc add a device the record is stored on you hard drive. The Hub keeps the record in the cloud. Each uses a different technique.

Yes, the Add-a-Wire kit should work.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks. I forgot to mention this part:
      ​if I use the Windows 8 app, as soon as I press the set button and hear the chirp, the app there does switch to "Device Found. Please wait..." then starts a "Test 1 of 10" and iterates through those, flashes "Configuration" on the screen, then flips to "Device failed to add".

​I will make arrangements to get it swapped out. Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Comment

I will try the firmware thing before I send it back. However, I have another point of confusion.
        I got the camera to work, but something weird happens: The colors are all wrong as shown in the images.

Not just wrong, but it seems to be more related to the texture of the item rather than it's color. If you look at the blanket the cat is on and the back of the desk chair, they appear greyish blue in the insteon camera views, but the actual views show the blanket over the top of the couch has some brown, and the whole desk chair is actually black. I know this is a common side effect of some cameras, but I have to ask as I don't have another Insteon camera to compare. Is this normal?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Following that firmware fix did fix allowing me to add correctly. Maybe someone should inform their support people about their own article LOL :)

Comment

The camera behavior you're seeing is probably normal; the camera can see infrared light, and in infrared, your chair is very bright. :)

Comment

Working...
            X