Looking for an inexpensive start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for an inexpensive start

I would like to try out some insteon stuff but I'm looking to start out slow (a light switch or 2). I'll probably grow into a mixed insteon/zwave solution but that's a bit down the road.

Can I simply grab a PLM and use houselink to control some devices? I know this will leave me with LAN only control, that's fine for now.
    Is there an android app that will work with this simple setup?

As my setup grows I'd add a controller (non-cloud based) like isy994i or a vera unit for more control. I was excited to see the $39.99 hub but I don't want cloud dependency.
    If I have a USB PLM are there issues connecting to an isy via usb/serial adapter?

I think that's it for now. Feel free to point out any obvious oversights.

Yes, you can do that but...

The last revision of HoueLinc was more that a year ago. Some have reported that HL is not fully compatible with newer devices.

There are no apps for HL as it's a LAN only program.

An ISY requires a serial PLM. Neither the ISY nor the PLM connects to a serial port. Router-->ISY-->serial PLM-->powerline.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm misunderstanding the "serial" part it seems, but I can probably search that out.

Comment

The serial PLM has a Cat5 port. If you want to write your own serial commands and send them to to the PLM via a computer, then you need a Cat5 to DB-9 cable which is ncluded with the modem. You also a computer with a serial (DB-9) port.

The ISY does not connect to a computer at all. No serial port is needed or used.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The serial connection is between the ISY994i and the serial port version of the PLM.
          The ISY994i is accessed through a network connection.
          The PLM sends and receives. Insteon power line and RF commands.

Comment

Working...
          X