What Does the Hub Get Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Does the Hub Get Me?

After using the starter kit for a couple of days I have realized (perhaps erroneously) that the only thing the hub really does for me is to allow me to use my iPhone and computer to configure scenes and control things remotely. Once I have things set up I could remove the hub (not that I want to) and let the system run and control it via switches & keypads. Is my understanding accurate?

I also find Insteon hub function somewhat confusing; however, the hub's function and the role of the Insteon website containing the hub's account is also confusing.

My understanding of the hub's function is to store and implement all the known relationships, i. e. links, scene management, etc. The modules (devices) can't be scheduled, enhanced, or accessed on-line when the hub is not present. However, dimmers, switches, etc. have limited manual configuration capability; devices can be set as controllers and/or responders. Thermostats can be managed manually as though they are stand-alone units. Without Internet access and an attached hub, devices are managed through manually set commands that basically allows for one or more devices to be turned on/off based on another device's manual operation, with some exceptions. I fail to see the usefulness in this sense without the ability to schedule.

Ideally, the local configuration should be comprised of a hub connected to a wireless router with a static link to an ISP. Modules should be installed using the hub connection procedures and managed through an app or web access. An Internet connection provides management capability through an app or web function which accesses an account on the Insteon website, or cloud as it now fashionably called. That account maintains a hub's configuration and communicates with the hub bi-directionally providing management of the hub's configuration and how it performs.

Comment

A Hub allows you to create scenes without having to physically press buttons on each device in the scene. Once created, the Hub is not needed except for remote control including off-site. A computer will allow you to control those scenes, but cannot be used to create them.

A Hub also allows schedules and alerts. The Hub needs to be on-line for those.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Still confused.

The implication is that devices, I. e. a dimmer module, retain memory of multiple links, on/off time/day schedules, and scene scenarios. I cannot find anything in the docs that explain that. If true what is the capacity on each device?

I also don't understand how scenes of any consequence can be implemented through device settings alone.

It still appears to me that very limited functionality exists without the hub.

Comment

Once written, devices retain links. Links are the components of scenes. In particular, a scene is when one device controls one or more other devices. The two methods of creating scenes are 1. by manually pressing buttons and/or paddles on each device included in the scene in a particular sequence or 2. by using a scene manager that connects to the powerline.

The scene manager does exactly what button pushing does, but it does it electronically by pushing a signal onto the powerline. It doesn't matter if the scene was created manually or using an scene manager, once a scene is created, the manger is no longer needed.

But all scene manager also have features that cannot be accomplished by linking alone. In order to use those features the scene manager must be powered on. Features that the Hub provides includes schedules, alerts, and on- and off-site smartphone control.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wingsy;n29268]After using the starter kit for a couple of days I have realized (perhaps erroneously) that the only thing the hub really does for me is to allow me to use my iPhone and computer to configure scenes and control things remotely. Once I have things set up I could remove the hub (not that I want to) and let the system run and control it via switches & keypads. Is my understanding accurate?[/QUOTE]

It would seem that the answer to Wingsy's question is a qualified "YES" on what the hub is used for and a qualified "No!" on removing the hub.

The hub provides the necessary configuration tools, remote access, schedules, device synch, and email/text notifications.

The hub can be disconnected and have the environment function as intended only if schedules, etc. are not part of the scene.

There is a sizable difference between basic scenes and scenes with more functionality. To me, setting scenes through the device buttons is no more than letting one device unilaterally or in concert with other devices manipulate on/off settings of one or more devices based primarily on a manual act. There are exceptions go course.

Comment

Working...
            X