Light Timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light Timer

New to insteon system but trying to learn, so is there a way to turn on a light from the app, lets say 15% brightness and stay on for 5 minutes than turn off by its self?
    Thank you for any help.

Nope. You'll need an INSTEON manager such as HouseLinc (free) or an ISY to accomplish that or other software.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but it seems to me this can be done.

Assuming the light you are talking about is plugged into an Insteon dimmable device, why couldn't he set up a scene that turns the light on at 15%, and then set the schedule on the scene to the times desired?

Comment

With the Hub, you can create a scene that you can define the %, and then create a schedule for that scene.

Comment

A schedule involves a fixed time. The OP requested that the light be turned off 5 min after being turned on. That can occur anytime.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n28449]Nope. You'll need an INSTEON manager such as HouseLinc (free) or an ISY to accomplish that or other software.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response, so I need to set up house linc program on my computer to do a timer event? And is that a hard thing to do and could you lead me in the right direction.
            Thanks.

Comment

Use a HouseLinc event.

[B]Trigger:[/B]
              device is turned on
              [B]Condition:[/B]
              none
              [B]Action:[/B]
              pause 5 minutes
              turn device off

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n28515]Use a HouseLinc event.

[B]Trigger:[/B]
                device is turned on
                [B]Condition:[/B]
                none
                [B]Action:[/B]
                pause 5 minutes
                turn device off[/QUOTE]

I got house linc set up now and I think I understand your answer. Could you tell me were I could find and read up on house linc how to program it.
                Again thank you for your answer.

Comment

[url]http://www.insteon.com/PDF/HouseLinc.pdf[/url]

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n28686][url]http://www.insteon.com/PDF/HouseLinc.pdf[/url][/QUOTE]

I believe I have the basics figured out now and did a test and works great, many thanks
                    Now one more thing is how do I get this same scene / event program to show up or work from my Windows phone?.
                    Also the computer were House Linc is set up on does that need to always be on?
                    And could I set up a second computer with House Linc or do I get conflicts and how do they all sync together?

Comment

The computer must be powered on and HL running for events to occur. HL events are not accessible from a smartphone. I'm currently running HL on two separate computers. They do not synch. Each is independent of the other.

Comment

[QUOTE=stusviews;n28827]The computer must be powered on and HL running for events to occur. HL events are not accessible from a smartphone. I'm currently running HL on two separate computers. They do not synch. Each is independent of the other.[/QUOTE]

Well that is a set back, just thinking have you ever tried any apps to remotely access your computer from your smartphone? I'm using Windows phone 8.1 dp and saw some apps in the store that allows to remotely connect. Is any other way, program, other device than insteon which I already have invested in to do these kind of events from smartphones. I thought insteon was the one but I just don't want to carry a computer around the house to make events happen. What's your thoughts on this and how do you handle things.
                        Again thanks and sorry for being a pain.

Comment

You'll need an INSTEON manager such as HouseLinc (free) or an ISY to accomplish that or other software.

Comment

[QUOTE=TFitzpatri8;n28887]For duration timers that can be triggered using a mobile browser or app, I use the ISY or a home server running more advanced home automation software. The Hub app and the free HouseLinc software offer easy setup, but they just don't support variables or chained programs or while loops or else statements that are part of more sophisticated controllers and applications.[/QUOTE]

What model ISY would you recommend and does this them replace the insteon hub or works in conjunction with each other. Also is there a app that works with Windows phone.
                            Thanks.

Comment

[QUOTE=TFitzpatri8;n28950]I like the ISY-994i Pro, since it supports a greater number of programs and offers a batch programming mode. The ISY and a 2413s interface that it uses to communicate with your Insteon devices replaces the Hub, the Hub is neither required nor supported. I haven't had reason to look for a Windows phone app that interacts with the ISY, since most of what I work with relies on apps that were developed with the iPhone and iPad in mind, but the place to ask about that would be the ISY's own support forum: [url]http://forum.universal-devices.com[/url]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for help on this I just want to make the right decision quickly as I will need to return the insteon hub back to best buy so I will be able to get the isy 994i pro unit and do it right. A few questions just so I'm straight on this, the isy 994i is programed using a computer, setting up the devices,scenes and so on ( similar to insteon house linc desktop app?) but is sync to the isy 994i which is then accessible via a phone app? I think what I'm trying to say is what ever scenes,events I set up on the computer / isy994i should show up on my phone app providing I find one for Windows phone. One I see is called Snap Switch 7.99 looks good. Could you let me know if I'm on the right path.
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X