Garage Door Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Door Control

I have a newbie theoretical question for everyone...

I have an detached garage. I would like to not have my dogs run through the people door of the garage to the alley when I come home and open up the car door in the garage.

I was hoping that I would be able use the Garage Door Controller, Hidden Door Sensor (in the people door) and Mini Remote to make this possible.

My operational scenario would be:

1) I pull up to the garage and press the "open garage door" button on my Mini Remote.
    2) The hub observes the status of the Hidden Door Sensor:
    a) If the Hidden Door Sensor indicates the people door is open, the hub will not send a command to the Garage Door Controller to open the car door.
    b) If the Hidden Door Sensor indicates the people door is closed, the hub will send a command to the Garage Door Controller to open the car door and in I drive.

Is this a possible scenario?

Thanks!

Dan.

The Hub is not capable of conditional events (e.g., if this, then do that). But HouseLinc is. You'll need a Windows computer running 24/7 or, at least during the times the garage door is in use.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

As Stu indicated, you'd need additional equipment to do that with a Hidden Door Sensor. OTOH, if you don't need to be able to read the garage door status remotely, you could wire the IOLinc sensor input to a normal alarm contact mounted to the people door. The IOLinc itself can be programmed to ignore a command if the sensor isn't closed.

Comment

Thanks, good information from both of you.:)

Comment

I believe the door sensor itself would work if the door sensor is blocked it will not work. So adding another door sensor in series may work. Do not know this for shear but something to look at.
          Last edited by Danowe36; 10-20-2014, 07:00 AM. Reason: Also try a door sensor to open relay and that also would work. If door sensor is open it opens the relay witch would also act like the beam is blocked.
          Iphone 4
          Iphone 5
          Ipad
          Ipod touch
          2 galaxy 3
          2-D link 655
          23 insteon
          2 ezflora
          HUB
          HUB II
          also using Smartlinc
          1E.A2.0F

Comment

Assuming the MiniRemote is not directly triggering the garage door opener, but through 2 wires like from a IOLinc or similar device, I would do nothing more than add a sensor to the people door. Wire so that the sensor is closed when the door is closed with the wiring in series with one of the two control wires leading to the garage door head.

The door has to be closed for the signal to reach the garage door opener.

One issue I can see with what the OP wants to do is there is nothing to tell you why the garage door didn't open and assumes reliability of the opener. And, if it's raining, I would think it to be better to exit the car inside the garage rather than in the rain, assuming the people door is open.

Comment

Will the addition of conditional actions be something that the hub will get?

Comment

Working...
              X