3 Way Switches in Scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Way Switches in Scenes

I have 4 pairs of 3 way switches for 4 light strings that I want to use for various scenes. I linked them locally as opposed to using the hub (which requires to create a scene to pair which doesn’t make sense). When creating a scene do I need to add all 8 devices or just 1 from each pair. I tried just the 1 from each pair as both controller and responder but it seems like the other device led indicator doesn’t respond. Does it matter if I use the switch that actually controls the lights vs the one that doesn’t.? When I use the switches normally, by themselves, the other switch in the pair responds accordingly so I know they are linked.

If you linked all of them with the Set Button on the switches and not the HUB.
    They will only follow each others local paddle activation's.
    Turning On or Off one in the setup with the HUB. Will only control that switch not all in the locally linked set.
    I don't use the HUB so someone else will have to tell you the proper steps.

Comment

You add each switch to its corresponding scene using the "both" option. As BLH stated you would then control the scene itself rather than the individual switch.

When you use the switch locally they all respond since they are linked. Controlling the individual switch from the app will only control that switch

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. It seems like an opportunity for Insteon here is to create a "group" of switches and have them all react the same way. That way you only have to include a single switch from that group in the scene as opposed to having to add all of them.

Comment

• stusviews
          stusviews commented
          Editing a comment
          A Insteon "group" is actually a scene. In fact, Inston used to call a scene a group.

[QUOTE=ccspitzer;n101823]Thanks all for the comments. It seems like an opportunity for Insteon here is to create a "group" of switches and have them all react the same way. That way you only have to include a single switch from that group in the scene as opposed to having to add all of them. [/QUOTE]

In addition to what's already been said, if Insteon did as you envision, you would be greatly limiting your options in regards to controlling your devices.

Comment

Working...
        X