0-10V dimmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0-10V dimmer

Insteon apparently has stopped producing the 247DA2 ballast dimmer, and now has zero options for controlling lights using a 10V dimming system.

Does anyone have a work-around?

Insteon - what gives? 10V dimming is not exactly a novel concept, you certainly should have an option available.

Originally posted by Sanmiam View Post
    Insteon - what gives? 10V dimming is not exactly a novel concept, you certainly should have an option available.
    This is a user-to-user forum. It may be best to contact Insteon directly.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Hardly anyone bought the ballast dimmer when it was out which led to it being discontinued. Unfortunately for the few that wanted to use it, there wasn't enough to justify tolhe cost to have it.

Comment

Here we go again, Insteon certainly monitors these forums. This is a device that should be available.
        So what do you say Insteon? Lets try to give this person a work around instead of the same old responses out of you two.

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
          Hardly anyone bought the ballast dimmer when it was out which led to it being discontinued. Unfortunately for the few that wanted to use it, there wasn't enough to justify tolhe cost to have it.
          This may be true (slow sales), but this can be attributed as much to the poor design/marketing as demand. For those not willing to "think outside the box" it was almost a non-stater as the total wattage it controlled was comical. However - to set it as a slave to an on/off switch would provide a useful device.

If you could release a 10V dimmer that ONLY did 10V dimming in a similar form factor to the micro dimmer switch and advertised as LED control I cannot see a way this would not work. Heck, just in under cabinet lighting you would probably drum up enough sales to justify existence. At minimum I find it hard to believe that this would be a worse seller than many of the current offerings.

I have invested significant amounts of time/money into my insteon setup (nearly every witch in my house/water sensors/outlets/garage doors/etc etc) and had an entire setup planned for my garage that I wired around this ballast dimmer after conversation with an Insteon tech in late Oct. It would have been nice if I would have been told of a possibility for discontinuation at that time, but as I was not I would greatly appreciate some assistance in finding a work-around. I appreciate any assistance that can be provided.

EDIT: I did call Insteon support and was told that there is nothing offered any longer that controls 10V dimmers - hence my request for assistance on this forum.
          Last edited by Sanmiam; 01-08-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Regardless of what any 1 individual may think, if something doesn't sell then a company will not continue to lose money on it. Maybe 1 day they will come out with something should demand warrant it. At the time of your conversation, the rep you spoke to may not have been aware they were considering discontinuing that product.

Depending on your item, there are low voltage transformers that can be dimmed with line voltage devices. One that comes to mind are by a company called magnitude. Depending on setup, you could then dim that with any number of I strongly devices.

Comment

Originally posted by ttantalo View Post
              Here we go again, Insteon certainly monitors these forums. This is a device that should be available.
              So what do you say Insteon? Lets try to give this person a work around instead of the same old responses out of you two.
              Don't start this again. They had a device and it didn't sell. Unless you plan on buying enough to warrant them investing in something again, let it go. There are work arounds for him to achieve what he wants. No company (or even companies) will do all the work for us. He came to the right place for help and was given a suggestion that will work so that he can accomplish what he's trying to do.

Comment

I have invested significant amounts of time/money into my insteon setup (nearly every witch in my house/water sensors/outlets/garage doors/etc etc) and had an entire setup planned for my garage that I wired around this ballast dimmer after conversation with an Insteon tech in late Oct. It would have been nice if I would have been told of a possibility for discontinuation at that time, but as I was not I would greatly appreciate some assistance in finding a work-around. I appreciate any assistance that can be provided.
                Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-07-2023, 11:24 AM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Insteon does not carry that product anymore however, a product like this can be used in conjunction with one of our dimmers to do the same thing:

https://www.ledsupply.com/led-dimmer...waAqN3EALw_wcB

Please email support directly https://www.insteon.com/support or email us at support@insteon.com if you need assistance. We're happy to help!

Comment

Working...
                  X