Update Camera Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Camera Software

Smarthome previously modified the IP Camera Tool (0.0.0.1) and I could no longer access a camera using the tool. I was told the problem was related to a software bug. I contacted Smarthome and a tech remoted in trying to download and install the required plug-in. After about 15 minutes it became clear the tech had no idea what he was doing and I asked him to stop. Now, months later I still cannot access the camera with the IP Camera Tool. I am hopeful the new owners of Smarthome will address this issue very soon.

Mac Yosemite

Which camera and browser are you using

Comment

My camera tool identifies all IP camera including Insteon. Which OS are you using? What is the result you are getting?
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The camera is: HD WiFi; Model 2864-222; Rev. 4.1
        Mac OS 10.10.5; Safari 10.1.2

When I attempt to log into this camera using the IP Camera Tool I get the message that I need to download a plug-in. I do so and the plug-in downloads. When I next try to log in I get the message asking me to install the H264 IPC web plug-in. I click "yes" and then get the message that my credentials do not match and a repeat that I need to download and install the plug-in. As I noted above, a Smarthome tech tried to install the plug-in but could not. I can still access the camera using the browser and MobiLinc, just bot the IP Camera Tool which means I cannot change any of the camera settings.

Comment

That's true for Firfox also. Firefox asks for and installs the plug-in--or so it says. But each time, Firefox asks again to install the plug-in. I haven't tried Chrome or Safari, but Internet Explorer works for me. The culprit, I believe, is incompatibility with Java.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback. I consider it at least as important for Smarthome to ensure their existing products perform as it is for them to develop a new product. As it is, I will not buy any more of their cameras until they resolve this problem. I definitely don't want to have to switch to Windows on my Mac.
            Last edited by smokegrub; 12-02-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

The camera software is Foscam and the extra code is to add the insteon cameras to the insteon hub. I would check with them to see if there is a fix for you

Comment

It doesn't make sense to hold Insteon responsible if an entirely different company ceases support for a product from yet another company. There's dozens of software and hardware that doesn't fully function due to changes made by third party manufacturers. If you're using Windows, then IE is a viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                  It doesn't make sense to hold Insteon responsible if an entirely different company ceases support for a product from yet another company. There's dozens of software and hardware that doesn't fully function due to changes made by third party manufacturers. If you're using Windows, then IE is a viable option.
                  The guy just wants support, so email support! Good luck bro ...

Comment

Respectfully, I beg to differ. You place your company's name on the product and sell it, its yours. You warranted it. Now, you change the software, requiring a plug-in and I am stranded. That's fine, but if that is the company's position they will sell me no more cameras. I tried contacting Smarthome and they tried but could not resolve the problem. I am not upset. I will just chuck the camera and move on.

Comment

Insteon didn't change, Firefox did.

Comment

I appreciate all the feedback. I use Safari on Yosemite. I have also tried Firefox without success. I have contacted Smarthome and they remoted in and tried without success for about half an hour. The tech obviously had no clue what the problem was nor how to fix it. Many of you won't know this but a few years ago when I bought some cameras I found out after purchase that the audio feature would not work. It was supposed to, with a plug-in, but it wouldn't. That defect has also never been addressed. Once again, if a company sells you a product they are responsible for its functionality. I want Smarthome to be able to sell a camera that works and I want to buy them. My appeal is for them to take steps to address these issues.

Comment

None of my many Foscam cameras work using Firefox. The solution is to purchase newer cameras to replace the fully functional cameras I already purchased. Not! Or use a different browser such as IE. That works.

Comment

Thanks again, Stu, for the feedback. IE hasn't been supported for the Mac since 2003. I could purchase Bootcamp and run Windows on my Mac but I have no desire to do that.

Comment

You can try ie tab in chrome browser that works well for me

Comment

Working...
                              X