Turn light on for a specific period of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn light on for a specific period of time

hello, i am trying to turn on a light using a 2635 with a door sensor. I want to have the light to come on and stay on for 1 minute. Im also trying to only allow the light to come on between specified times(5PM-11PM). I have the door sensor linked to the 2635 ans the light comes on but only when the door remains open.
    Thanks and any help would be appreciated!

the door sensor doesn't have a timer built in so when it open it send an On command and when it closes it sends an Off.

With out time parameters you would need the 2844-222 motion sensor so you can set your 1 minute timer.

To really do what you want you need an ISY994i controller and will write a program like the one below (no linking):

If:
    Time is between 5pm and 11pm
    and
    door sensor status is ON
    then:
    turn on 2635-222
    wait 1 min
    turn off 2635-222

Comment

Another option is to use Stringify. You can set multiple IF conditions and then link actions which include a timer to turn off. The Stringify platform can integrate your Insteon devices with other platforms like IFTTT and SmartThings. It is all cloud based and free. It has allowed me to take home automation to new levels. https://www.stringify.com
      Insteon Hub II (2014) Model:2245-222
      20 Insteon Modules
      Outdoor HD Camera 2864-232
      HD Camera 2864-22X
      SD Camera 75790
      iPhone 7
      Apple Watch

Comment

SeanM, what happens when the door is opened again while that 1-minute timer is running? Does the event get ignored, or does it essentially restart the timer?

Comment

Depends on the system that you are using. If using the ISY, the timer only runs if the door is open. If you close it, the timer will stop. Reopening it, the timer would then restart

Comment

Agree with lilyoyo1. Straight up the event would be ignored.

You could:
            - change the program to check sensor status before turning off the light. This would require multiple programs in the ISY but do-able. You will want to switch over to the ISY forums for help on that. (forum.universal-devices.com)

- extend the countdown time if needed

Comment

Are you trying to have the light remain on when the door is closed?

Comment

Occupancy sense in motion 2 could help along with its timer?
                Maybe if placed strategically by the open door?

Comment

From the original post: "I want to have the light to come on and stay on for 1 minute. .... I have the door sensor linked to the 2635 and the light comes on but only when the door remains open."

I read that as he wants the door opening to trigger the light and for it to stay on for a minute, even after the door is closed.

Is there a concept of named timers? If so, you could write something like:
                  If:
                  Time is between 5pm and 11pm
                  and
                  door sensor status is ON
                  then:
                  turn on 2635-222
                  and
                  (re)start Timer1 for 1 minute

If:
                  Timer1 expired
                  then:
                  turn off 2635-222

If there is no concept of named timers in ISY, that would be tops on my wishlist for that product.

Comment

They ISY is not capable of named timers. You would need to post on the UDI forum for ISY requests as the ISY is made by a different company.

With that said, there are ways to accomplish what you wrote up with the ISY using its current programming capabilities. Hopefully the poster responds with more information about what he wants to accomplish as that is the only way to help him achieve his goals.

Comment

With an ISY this is very easy.
                      Don't link the door sensor to the light

If Door Sensor is switched on
                      Then set light on - Wait 1 minute - set light off

Additional conditions can be added to the "if" statement if needed for time constraints.
                      For more flexibility I use one program to turn a switch on; that program then disables itself, then runs another program which handles the delay and turning off the light before re-enabling the original program.
                      If you're interested in running an ISY for this then I'd be happy to go into more detail.

Comment

Originally posted by B-ran View Post
                        Occupancy sense in motion 2 could help along with its timer?
                        Maybe if placed strategically by the open door?
                        This would be the ideal and cost effective solution. I think we are just exploring what it would take with the sensor he has.

Comment

Originally posted by Beelocks View Post
                          With an ISY this is very easy.
                          Don't link the door sensor to the light

If Door Sensor is switched on
                          Then set light on - Wait 1 minute - set light off

Additional conditions can be added to the "if" statement if needed for time constraints.
                          For more flexibility I use one program to turn a switch on; that program then disables itself, then runs another program which handles the delay and turning off the light before re-enabling the original program.
                          If you're interested in running an ISY for this then I'd be happy to go into more detail.
                          Yes it's easy but it won't work well. I tried this simple solution for a stairway light and my driveway lights. You would sometimes be 1/3 the way down the stairs or half way down the driveway before the light ever came on. Even linking the sensor to the light has occasional issues (lag).

Comment

Sounds like you have other issues at had such as poor sensor placement.

Comment

Wingsy,

How did you link the sensor to the load, manually or by creating a scene? Are you also using a door sensor? Which specific device are you linking the sensor to?
                              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
                              X