Feature Request: Schedule On-Level Without Switching On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature Request: Schedule On-Level Without Switching On

I would like to be able to press a wall switch and have a group of lights transition to an on-level which changes based on the time of day. In other words, I would like to schedule the on-level for a light or a scene, but have the trigger for actually turning it on be a switch.

For example, between 8am and 6pm, I would like the on-level for a scene to be set to 100%; between 6pm and 9pm, I would like the on-level for that scene to be set to 50%; between 9pm and 8am, I would like the on-level for that scene to be set to 10%. However, I don't want the scene to come on at 8am, 6pm, or 9pm - I want the scene to be triggered by its assigned controller (in this case, a wall switch). When the switch is flipped on at 10am, all lights in the scene transition to 100%; when the switch is flipped off, the lights go off; when the switch is flipped on at 7pm, all lights go to 50%; when the switch is flipped on at midnight, all lights go to 10%; when the scene is already on when transitioning from one time block to the next, all lights move to the new intensity.

I know that it is possible to accomplish this effect by using scenes controlled only by the Hub App (have a scene called "Daytime", one called "Evening", one called "Bedtime"), but the app is often slow to start up, and I don't always have my phone on me when I walk into a given room. It would be nice to just hit the wall switch by the door and have it turn on the desired lights to the desired intensities based on what time of day it is.

The reason for this request: I have a hard time falling asleep in the evening after having bombarded my retinas with max-level, full-spectrum light (which makes sense, because this releases cortisol, which is what causes you to wake up in the morning when the sun comes up). During the day, after having just come in from outside, I need the lights to be bright enough to see with restricted pupils and no visual purple. But during the evening and approaching bedtime, I need the lights to be much dimmer - in fact, I use different lights with lower (more orange) color temperatures in the evening.
    Last edited by bl34872; 03-29-2017, 11:33 AM.

The entry level, low cost Hub is not capable of conditions. You can schedules scenes, but that only turns the scene on or off at the scheduled time(s). I f you have that need, then you'll need to invest in a more costly Insteon manager such as software or an ISY.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I can't see this feature (de-coupling on-level schedules from on-triggering) being computationally intensive. Perhaps it would be difficult to implement for other reasons (such as the way the Hub orchestrates scenes and links controllers to responders), but I find it hard to believe that it couldn't be implemented due to hardware limitations of the Hub.

Comment

Perhaps a simpler solution would be to set the default on level to what ever % you use most of the time and control the rest manually... example: I have a switch that is set default on at 50%, if I need it 100% I just tap the top twice, and if I only want it 10% instead of tapping to turn on I long-press the top.
        Hub 2245-222, ID 46.F7.AE, Prod
        Insteon for Hub App v1.15.4 build 334
        53 Insteon devices

Comment

Including conditionals is very computationally intensive and costly. Have you ever coded?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

The hub simply was not designed to operate as you wish. As mentioned earlier, there are solutions duch as the ISY994 which do exist that would allow you to achieve what you are looking for.

Comment

richaree is correct. I have an ISY994 program that changes the on-levels for the bathroom to 25% at bedtime and 75% at Sunrise.
              The 25% so I'm not blinded if I go at night. The 75% just to make believe I'm saving energy.

Comment

The OP could possibly use a KeypadLinc, or even a mini wireless remote that has programmed one individual button for each of his three scenes... Not ideal, but possible with the super simplistic Hub.

Comment

That's not only possible, but, in some cases desirable. For example, you may want three or more levels of lighting in your living room or bedroom regardless of the time of night (Insteon dimmers have two levels built in).

Comment

I would love to see this feature added. I use the Indigo software from Indigo Domotics because of the ability to add conditions to a trigger. I have door sensor that triggers a scene based on time of day and which lights are already on. I want to have Apple/Homekit integration so I can use Siri to control lights but as I understand it, this is a hardware requirement and can't be implemented with software. This means I must chose between my conditionals and Homekit. I'll stick with conditionals for now.

Comment

If you're referring to multiple light levels, then an ISY has that ability now. But so does the Hub. I'm pretty sure Indigo can set light levels based on time, too. Or is there something else that you're missing.

Comment

Working...
                      X