No announcement yet.

Google Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just added a Google Home mini to our house for Christmas, alongside the Amazon Echo Dot. Was disappointed to see that there is no Insteon integration for the Google Home. Thankfully I have Alexa working well, but...any update on Insteon plans? I assume the recent firmware update (where the release notes mentioned easier 3rd party integrations) may have been geared toward this...maybe??

Comment

I followed jpedicini and philbarnett's posts but cannot get the lights on. As zach.hofstra, pasting the URL link in Chrome does work. Any clue?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunn View Post
        Just added a Google Home mini to our house for Christmas, alongside the Amazon Echo Dot. Was disappointed to see that there is no Insteon integration for the Google Home. Thankfully I have Alexa working well, but...any update on Insteon plans? I assume the recent firmware update (where the release notes mentioned easier 3rd party integrations) may have been geared toward this...maybe??
        I wrote to Insteon Support and the response was that there's no plan to add Google compatibility at this time.

Comment

I would like to invite those on this thread to a sneak peak of our Google Home integration. We have released support for Google Home as part of a soft launch - we will be sending out an official announcement next week. Please give it a go and let us know what you think as well as share tips and tricks with others here. Thank you all for your patience! Happy New Year!
          Insteon Stats
          User since: 2005
          House has: 35 devices (+ 20 or more so for testing)
          Managing with: Hub 2 & Director

Comment

Isaac - I set this up today works like a charm. Awesome. Thank you. Been waiting for this for a long time. My wife is going to love it: OK Google, turn off the bedroom lights !!!

Best New Years present ever!!!!!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Here are two screenies for proof of life
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rvbernier View Post

I wrote to Insteon Support and the response was that there's no plan to add Google compatibility at this time.
                @rvbernier That's hilarious since less than 24 hours later they announed it. smh

Comment

INSTEON IS NOW NATIVELY SUPPORTED IN GOOGLE HOME !! ENJOY !

http://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/

Just link the service under Home Control. Ensure you assign a room and nickname to each device.

IMPORTANT: Disable all IFTTT/HARMONY workarounds you may have setup in the interim.

Google can turn on/off and dim any light switch or plug now without the IFTTT workaround !!
                  Last edited by rverkoey; 01-04-2018, 08:26 AM.

Comment

So happy to see this integration come together! I seem to be having a tough time controlling individual switches though, and my garage door opener does not show as a device.. I can control entire rooms no problem, but would love some help on how to get google to simply turn on one light in the room..?

Comment

Hey Bjhersak ,

Thanks for trying out the integration.

Control of a single light is supported, as well as control of a whole room.

In some cases, I have seen Google Assistant control a room instead of a single light when the names are similar. For example, if I have lights "Family Room 1" and "Family Room 2" both inside a room named "Family Room", Google Home would turn on the entire room when I say "Turn on Family Room 1."

In your case, are your lights named in a similar way to the room that might be confusing Google Assistant? If so, Google Assistant supports device nicknames, or you can customize your room names. Google Home rooms are not tied to Insteon rooms, so you can change and play with them as you want.

Hopefully this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by griffingrowl View Post

@rvbernier That's hilarious since less than 24 hours later they announed it. smh
                        That's right! I wrote to Insteon Support 2 weeks ago. Great news!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean (Insteon) View Post
                          Hey Bjhersak ,

Thanks for trying out the integration.

Control of a single light is supported, as well as control of a whole room.

In some cases, I have seen Google Assistant control a room instead of a single light when the names are similar. For example, if I have lights "Family Room 1" and "Family Room 2" both inside a room named "Family Room", Google Home would turn on the entire room when I say "Turn on Family Room 1."

In your case, are your lights named in a similar way to the room that might be confusing Google Assistant? If so, Google Assistant supports device nicknames, or you can customize your room names. Google Home rooms are not tied to Insteon rooms, so you can change and play with them as you want.

Hopefully this helps!
                          Tried it and it works great!

Comment

I just joined to say thanks to the devs for supporting this. It's working pretty seamlessly for me, but for some reason I can't get Google to recognize scenes with Possessive names. Things like "Chris's Lamp" are confusing it. And when I gave it the nickname "my lamp" in the home app, and ask Google to turn on "My Lamp" it turns on both my lamp and my wife's lamp.. Weird. I think that's a google problem. I've tried removing the apostrophe and calling it "Chris lamp" and stuff, still no dice. My other scenes are working great. I love how new devices and scenes show up instantly in the google enviroment without me having to do anything to refresh or add them.

Comment

Is there any chance of somehow getting Google Home to work with 2242? I needed 2242 because of X10.

Comment

None that anyone had found.

Comment

Working...
                                X