No announcement yet.

I want a power on/off sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the second time you made reference to two I/O Lincs. Only one is required. Yes, the I/O Linc can send a message for each state (i.e., powered, not powered). In any case, if the PLM is not powered, then Insteon signals are not received. I haven't found a Z-Wave equivalent (both NO and NC contacts).

You'll need one Open/close sensor for each of power cut and power restored. But, that'll work only of the I/O Linc is powered from the utility only, not the generator
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

This is actually really simple to do: Hook an IOLinc to a generator control panel that can run a dry contact closure - I know Generac makes these, I assume pretty much everybody else does too. This is really the best way. It not only senses when it's on, but can also send indicators when the generator needs maintenance or is having trouble.

Comment

I built this for my generator, but it could be pulled into any USB adapter on a circuit you wanted to monitor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWNLzwHSiR8

I never did post an update of the device attached to my generator, but it's pretty simple. Requires a relay, door/window sensor, USB cable, and USB charger.

Comment

I use a small 12vdc wall wart and a 12vdc relay to monitor my power. As I had both laying around. I find this works well as small blips in the power are not logged, it takes a full 1-2 seconds before tripping the relay. On the HS side I set a virtual device off with the power and back on when the power returns, via events, device status change. Then in my startup.txt file I check to see if this device is off, this means that the power was off and my UPS ran out of juice, then I send out a text page saying things are all O.K. You could do this with either a power flash or an Ocelot, I suggest the Ocelot.
          RV inverter || Quesadilla Maker

Comment

Working...
          X