Insteon DI/DO interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon DI/DO interface

I just read something about the Insteon compromise to manage IoT devices form third part vendors and it is a reality the integration with many products (Echo, not in Eurore ;-)) etc.

BUT I guess a very simple integration may add high value is a simple "device" that connects to DO (digital output of any device like a PIR, Cameras etc) and then send an Insteon command like pushing a KPL button. The circuit may be as simple as the same electronics of the KPL plus an input to accept the DO signal (voltage).

Case: Insteon wide installation but cameras not from Insteon (it is not a good idea to put all the security systems -eggs- into the same basket). Cameras has PIR detection with DI/DO. The DO output can trigger an small relay that acts over the sensing cable of an ON/OFF device and then you manage everything...but it would be much more simple to be able to connect a kind of KPL device that airs the command without the need of the relay and an ON/OFF device.

Even if I "broke" the warranty I did open a KPL, look for the push button contacts and connect there the output of a mini-relay that is triggered directly by the DO (very low consumption and voltage)...and it works obviously.

Obviously using the KPL as a wireless device needs a regular charge and it is not the best solution. The new device should be able to hold a bigger battery -like a PIR sensor- and/or be able use power or POE.

The KPL does not have an isolated power supply.
    Depending on the exact installation. You could have power line AC on your external wiring to the relay.

Comment

Working...
    X