Always Room for Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always Room for Improvement

Even with the breadth of INSTEON devices currently available, there is always room for improvement. Share your ideas on new INSTEON devices that you would like to one day see made into reality. Whether it's a mundane change to the long-lived INSTEON Wall Switch or an amalgamation of features into one INSTEON super device, we want to hear your feedback.

How about an in-wall motion with switch [like occupancy/vacancy lights for bathroom - boardroom].

External Temperature Sensors [get temperature of Outside, Garage, Equipment Closet]

Some kind of converter to send our Smart Meter info to our Hub [Current Watt Usage]

An external IO board instead of the wall wart kind, maybe with 4 in / 4 out.

We can't all be heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and applaud when they go by. -Will Rogers

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
    "Same thing we do every night, Pinky.
    Try to take over the WORLD! "

Toshiba C855-S5350 4GB -- Win 8.1
    Iphone 4 32GB -- IOS 7.0.4 (Jailbroken)
    NetGear WNDR3700v2
    1 Therm : 5 Keypads : 3 Switches : 3 Lamps : 1 Appliance : 1 Outlet : 1 Sensor
    1E.CA.C2 V 4.8 A 02/08/13

Comment

+1 for the in-wall switch with motion detector. I would put something like that in a bathroom and maybe a garage.

Setting up and changing the daily/weekly schedules on the Insteon Thermostat should be able to be done from the app. The best part about smart thermostats is the ability to set temps for home and away. Being able to set up schedules for temperature changes in the app rather than just on the wall unit itself or on the fly with the app would make things a lot easier.

Samsung ATIV Odyssey WP8.0
      Windows Surface RT 8.1
      Westell 7500, Verizon
      8 INSTEON
      1E.CD.05

Comment

A Insteon timer switch for a bathroom fan would also be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ellisr63 View Post
          A Insteon timer switch for a bathroom fan would also be nice.
          Those actually already exist. I own 3 of them. They're a custom version of the 8 button KeypadLinc.
          Hub II v5683 - 1F:66:7E
          Samsung Galaxy S4 Android v4.4.2 - Insteon App v1.7.3 (171)

Comment

Originally posted by specTom View Post
            How about an in-wall motion with switch [like occupancy/vacancy lights for bathroom - boardroom].

External Temperature Sensors [get temperature of Outside, Garage, Equipment Closet]

Some kind of converter to send our Smart Meter info to our Hub [Current Watt Usage]
            I have to agree with your first 3 ideas. A motion occupancy switch would be wonderful and would save on the need for a separate battery operated one.

Remotely variable temperature sensors would be great too as you are quite limited on options at the time. I've experimented with some other I/O sensor devices, but they were very complex and not worth the headache to trigger anything that required a pre-defined temperature. Even just getting a basic readout would be helpful.

A smart meter reader would have to be on my list too. Or as a further thought, a module for reading individual devices and or circuits.

I've always wanted to control the opening and closing of blinds with the Insteon network, without the need of interfacing with Zigbee or Z-Wave. However, I am interested in the Z-Wave protocol, but just haven't invested the time or money in it yet.
            Hub II v5683 - 1F:66:7E
            Samsung Galaxy S4 Android v4.4.2 - Insteon App v1.7.3 (171)

Comment

Originally posted by kd7iyt View Post

Those actually already exist. I own 3 of them. They're a custom version of the 8 button KeypadLinc.
              I thought the 8 button timers were no longer available? Do you have a part number for the custom version?

Comment

How about some switched outlets with dimmers and without on both outlets that can be individually controlled?

Comment

You can consider insteon's light sensor! it can be very good way to save energy and turn on / off the Insteon led Bulb at home

Comment

I would like to suggest the option of turning on/off 15 minutes prior to sunset in the application. Or a variable user defined time before or after sunrise/sunset. I live in the woods and want my lights on slightly before sunset.

Comment

Some things that I would like to see available:

A version of all load switching devices and non switching outlets with built in power metering. (The smart plug for Lowe's iris has it built in, which was nice.)

-- It seems the Micro Wire In modules may be an alternative for this -- A less expensive hard wired wall switch without the actual dimmer or relay mechanism. (Currently replacing 3 way switch setups seems to get expensive quickly.)

A simple to use and not terribly expensive Z-Wave/Insteon bridge to map devices between networks and have them appear like a native device. (Frustrating to give up the previous investment completely.)

A version of the handheld remote with replaceable keys like the KeypadLinc. (Customization is never a bad thing.)

-- It seems the Micro Wire In modules may work for this -- A kit for retrofitting Insteon into existing lamps, designed to have external buttons or switches wired into it and have the module hidden in the lamp base. (I want local control without a remote strapped to the device or bending down to the wall module)
                      Last edited by Zurno; 06-11-2014, 12:46 PM. Reason: Realization that the wire in Micro Modules have switch inputs.

Comment

I'd second the remote temperature probe idea. I currently use one from LaCrosse that works over the internet. It includes the ability to use a water probe to track water temps. It would be nice to tie into my home automation system from a single interface

Comment

Working...
                        X