Motion Sensor Design Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor Design Improvements

The sensor could be significantly improved by making the linking button accessible on the front or side of the device. Adding a slide in access port on the bottom for the battery would also be a nice improvement. As it is, the device must be removed and the cover opened to make changes. I dread putting mine into linking mode.

I do agree that changing a setting or the battery is inconvenient, but the MS is designed for outdoor use. Any unsealed external opening defeats that purpose.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Surely there is either a way to have a sealed external button, or better yet have a way to put the device in linking mode without needing to press a button (similar to the wall switches). I have a motion sensor which is not accessible without a ladder so you can imagine how frustrating it is to make any updates to scenes.

Comment

Of course there's a way to have a sealed external button--at a cost. The ISY has a program command that will update settings when the MS is activated (i.e., senses motion). The now defunct HouseLinc was able to accomplish that. too. But, that's way beyond the capability of the Hub. What are you using to create scenes.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Insteon should not stumble on a minor cost increase when striving to make device more user friendly and, thus, improve its marketability. Putting a battery device into linking mode is such a integral function that putting the button in an externally accessible position is a no brainer in my opinion.
          Last edited by smokegrub; 02-08-2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

There is an new Insteon Motion Sensor II listed in the FCC Database.
            Completely different from the original one from Skylink.
            Uses a CR123A Lithium Cell for power. Or a Micro USB power jack on the back.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm
            Grantee: SBP
            Product Code: 28442
            Detail Tab.
            Includes a preliminary Quick Guide. Internal and external photos. Test reports and test setup photos.
            Last edited by BLH; 12-31-2016, 09:45 AM. Reason: Add information.

Comment

Working...
            X